Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Apr 3, 2014
8:46:40 AM
View profile
DVR Capacity

I am about to order service online and am curious about the DVR capacity. I know the U300 and above come with the newest and higher capacity DVR. I thought I read somewhere that the U200 also came with that same DVR when getting HD. I could have read that wrong though. Will you please advise if the U200 also comes with the higher capacity DVR?

The only post I could find about this is from August so things could have easily changed since then.

Thanks!

I am about to order service online and am curious about the DVR capacity. I know the U300 and above come with the newest and higher capacity DVR. I thought I read somewhere that the U200 also came with that same DVR when getting HD. I could have read that wrong though. Will you please advise if the U200 also comes with the higher capacity DVR?

The only post I could find about this is from August so things could have easily changed since then.

Thanks!

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 3, 2014 10:06:23 AM
(1)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Apr 3, 2014 at 10:07:54 AM

There are 3 DVRs, the standard assigned to ufamily and u200 accounts.
The larger, of which there are two, is assigned to u300, u400 accounts.

In Motorola markets, the standard is 1216 (grey) while the larger are 1225 (grey) and 2250 (black).
Techs carry a small number of DVRs on truck, depending on installers inventory determines which DVR will receive.

Even the ufamily can order HD programming ($10 extra per month on ufam, u200, u300) so ordering HD is not the determining factor.

Please note DVR listed in http://www.att.com/u-verse/shop/index.jsp

From http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp
" Larger DVR: New AT&T U-verse TV customers ordering U300 or U450 are guaranteed the larger-capacity DVR. Upgrades for existing customers to the larger storage capacity DVR are subject to availability and additional fees; call for details."

Please note "larger-capacity" (1225, 2250) not largest capacity (2250 with 500g HD)
Techs will install the 2250 if available, but not guaranteed availability.

In the Austin market only, FTTP installs ordering 300M internet receive the new 1T HD DVR.
Point being the newest and largest DVR is currently in one market.

On u200 package can upgrade to larger DVR ($105 ordered thru support) or order u300 for $15 more per month ($180/year) compared to u200.

Hope I covered all your DVR questions....

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

DVR Capacity

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 3, 2014 10:06:23 AM
(1)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Apr 3, 2014 at 10:07:54 AM

In Motorola markets, the standard is 1216 (grey) while the larger are 1225 (grey) and 2250 (black).
Techs carry a small number of DVRs on truck, depending on installers inventory determines which DVR will receive.

Even the ufamily can order HD programming ($10 extra per month on ufam, u200, u300) so ordering HD is not the determining factor.

" Larger DVR: New AT&T U-verse TV customers ordering U300 or U450 are guaranteed the larger-capacity DVR. Upgrades for existing customers to the larger storage capacity DVR are subject to availability and additional fees; call for details."

Please note "larger-capacity" (1225, 2250) not largest capacity (2250 with 500g HD)

In the Austin market only, FTTP installs ordering 300M internet receive the new 1T HD DVR.

On u200 package can upgrade to larger DVR ($105 ordered thru support) or order u300 for $15 more per month ($180/year) compared to u200.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: DVR Capacity

[ Edited ]
2 of 21 (3,719 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 5:13:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

You have to watch out with the DVR's.  I have now had to replace two of the DVR's as the equipment stopped working.  This causes you to lose all of your recordings and the company provides no compensation for your loss.  Technician who replaced the last one said it is a pretty frequence that they stop working (won't turn on, freeze up, or go into constant reboot mode).

Just a warning for you that I would recommend planning too much on them because then when you lose all of the recordings you will be very frustrated.

You have to watch out with the DVR's.  I have now had to replace two of the DVR's as the equipment stopped working.  This causes you to lose all of your recordings and the company provides no compensation for your loss.  Technician who replaced the last one said it is a pretty frequence that they stop working (won't turn on, freeze up, or go into constant reboot mode).

Just a warning for you that I would recommend planning too much on them because then when you lose all of the recordings you will be very frustrated.

3 of 21 (3,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2014 2:44:15 AM
(0)
Teacher
I've lost 1 every year. It's very annoying to lose a whole season of recorded TV before the DVD's become available. When I signed up with ATT, I was PROMISED that there was a way to back up the DVR. I later found that was a complete lie, one of many I was told to get me to switch my service. One of those was that I could record 4 things at the same time. Nope. Only 3 if they are HD. Currently, the "large" capacity DVR can only hold 1 season of 2 shows. This is pitiful. When is ATT going to join the 21st century and go to 1 or 2 TB drives? I'm going back to Comcast at the next season break.
I've lost 1 every year. It's very annoying to lose a whole season of recorded TV before the DVD's become available. When I signed up with ATT, I was PROMISED that there was a way to back up the DVR. I later found that was a complete lie, one of many I was told to get me to switch my service. One of those was that I could record 4 things at the same time. Nope. Only 3 if they are HD. Currently, the "large" capacity DVR can only hold 1 season of 2 shows. This is pitiful. When is ATT going to join the 21st century and go to 1 or 2 TB drives? I'm going back to Comcast at the next season break.

4 of 21 (3,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 12:07:09 PM
(0)
Voyager

I know it says "Larger-Capacity" not "Largest", but at the following AT&T page, https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/total-home-dvr.html#fbid=_eZJxJ3TrZD, they're advertising:

You’ve got more control than ever with the Total Home DVR, which lets
you store up to 422 hours of entertainment – or up to 155 hours in HD. *Footnote 3*
That’s more HD storage than cable DVRs. *Footnote 4*

Footnotes:

3 New AT&T U-verse TV customers ordering U300 or U450 will get the larger- capacity DVR. With purchase of other plans or existing customer upgrades, larger-capacity DVRs are subject to availability and additional fees.

4 Comparison based on major cable TV providers' largest DVR hours of HD recording storage capacity from a single DVR as of
September 8, 2013.

So since it states the 155 hours, then in a footnote the U450 will get the larger size, it is extremely misleading in their advertisement if a 90 hour DVR is considered Larger size too. 

I know it says "Larger-Capacity" not "Largest", but at the following AT&T page, https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/total-home-dvr.html#fbid=_eZJxJ3TrZD, they're advertising:

You’ve got more control than ever with the Total Home DVR, which lets
you store up to 422 hours of entertainment – or up to 155 hours in HD. *Footnote 3*
That’s more HD storage than cable DVRs. *Footnote 4*

Footnotes:

3 New AT&T U-verse TV customers ordering U300 or U450 will get the larger- capacity DVR. With purchase of other plans or existing customer upgrades, larger-capacity DVRs are subject to availability and additional fees.

4 Comparison based on major cable TV providers' largest DVR hours of HD recording storage capacity from a single DVR as of
September 8, 2013.

So since it states the 155 hours, then in a footnote the U450 will get the larger size, it is extremely misleading in their advertisement if a 90 hour DVR is considered Larger size too. 

5 of 21 (3,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 12:13:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You have to realize that it's "up to." It says "which lets you store up to 422 hours of entertainment – or up to 155 hours in HD."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.

You have to realize that it's "up to." It says "which lets you store up to 422 hours of entertainment – or up to 155 hours in HD."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 21 (3,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 2:03:31 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by jphicks84 on Aug 14, 2014 at 2:23:25 PM

I do realize that, but when it says you can get up to 155 hours and then in the footnote it says with U450 that you will get the larger capacity, you can realize how it is easy to infer from those two statements that you will get the 155 hours with U450.

also, from an AT&T community support post:

Storage Capacity

There are four large hard drive DVR receivers, and two standard 160GB DVR's (Chart attached below)

DVR Storage Capacity.png

New U-verse customers who subscribe to U300 or above core video packages at the time of installation are guaranteed to be installed with one of the two larger hard drive DVRs. New customers who do not opt for either the U300 or above package receive the standard 160GB DVR.

I received the VIP1225. So apparently when they say U450 will receive a larger capacity, by larger they mean anything but the smallest capacity. 

I do realize that, but when it says you can get up to 155 hours and then in the footnote it says with U450 that you will get the larger capacity, you can realize how it is easy to infer from those two statements that you will get the 155 hours with U450.

also, from an AT&T community support post:

Storage Capacity

There are four large hard drive DVR receivers, and two standard 160GB DVR's (Chart attached below)

DVR Storage Capacity.png

New U-verse customers who subscribe to U300 or above core video packages at the time of installation are guaranteed to be installed with one of the two larger hard drive DVRs. New customers who do not opt for either the U300 or above package receive the standard 160GB DVR.

I received the VIP1225. So apparently when they say U450 will receive a larger capacity, by larger they mean anything but the smallest capacity. 

[ Edited ]
7 of 21 (3,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2014 7:54:34 PM
(0)
Employee

While the chart shows 4 larger, the local VHO are market specific.

Our market is the Motorolas while a different market 90 miles away is Cisco market.

For our area if we send techs to assist the other market, all Motorola DVRs and receivers are removed from truck/van. The tech drives to a garage in the other market and receives equipment for that market. When the loan time frame expires (normally 3 weeks) all equipment is turned back in, tech returns to home garage base and restocks with Motorola brand.

Please note, when loaned this happens regardless of market going to as all equipment is scanned for a particular VHO market. This is why if moving within market you can take your equipment but moving out of market must return all equipment (RG, DVR, STB)

While the chart shows 4 larger, the local VHO are market specific.

Our market is the Motorolas while a different market 90 miles away is Cisco market.

For our area if we send techs to assist the other market, all Motorola DVRs and receivers are removed from truck/van. The tech drives to a garage in the other market and receives equipment for that market. When the loan time frame expires (normally 3 weeks) all equipment is turned back in, tech returns to home garage base and restocks with Motorola brand.

Please note, when loaned this happens regardless of market going to as all equipment is scanned for a particular VHO market. This is why if moving within market you can take your equipment but moving out of market must return all equipment (RG, DVR, STB)

8 of 21 (3,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2014 11:14:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just spoke to ATT chat to try and get a larger capacity DVR.  I live in CA.  I have the VIP 1216 and I upgraded a few months ago to U-300.  I was told I could upgrade to a larger capacity DVR for no charge, but he could not tell me how much larger the new DVR would be.  I was also told it would have newer and better hardware and software.  When he tried to input the order I was then told I would have to upgrade my modem at the same time for one time fee of $105.  Can anyone tell me which DVR upgrade I will get and if I am stuck with the $105 fee?  Reading through some of thsese posts it seems the larger capacity DVRs have some issues.  Is this common or just a few problems being publicized?  Thank you.

I just spoke to ATT chat to try and get a larger capacity DVR.  I live in CA.  I have the VIP 1216 and I upgraded a few months ago to U-300.  I was told I could upgrade to a larger capacity DVR for no charge, but he could not tell me how much larger the new DVR would be.  I was also told it would have newer and better hardware and software.  When he tried to input the order I was then told I would have to upgrade my modem at the same time for one time fee of $105.  Can anyone tell me which DVR upgrade I will get and if I am stuck with the $105 fee?  Reading through some of thsese posts it seems the larger capacity DVRs have some issues.  Is this common or just a few problems being publicized?  Thank you.

9 of 21 (2,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2014 9:07:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

If you look at the bottom of this AD, ATT / Uverse is not mentioned.

Where do you submit a suggestion that the Esata connectors be activated?

TY

MM

If you look at the bottom of this AD, ATT / Uverse is not mentioned.

TY

MM

10 of 21 (2,606 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2014 9:37:55 AM
(1)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Sep 29, 2014 at 9:39:05 AM

UpAllNight wrote:

TY

MM

I think that writing it on a piece of paper and depositing it in the nearest paper recylcing center will do just about as well as any other mechanism.  Just my opinion.  And it's easier to see what you're talking about when you write eSATA.

UpAllNight wrote:

TY

MM

I think that writing it on a piece of paper and depositing it in the nearest paper recylcing center will do just about as well as any other mechanism.  Just my opinion.  And it's easier to see what you're talking about when you write eSATA.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
11 of 21 (2,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2014 9:42:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

010248a wrote:

If you get a 1225, you won't be happy w/it, still suffers from a lack of memory (1/4 of the 2250s memory), probably already seeing the results from the 1216.

The 1225 will have a slightly larger hard drive, but does not have newer software.  No need to upgrade the RG for $105, not necessary.

Easier to get what you want from Uverse Care, just click the link in my sig and send them a PM.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

010248a wrote:

If you get a 1225, you won't be happy w/it, still suffers from a lack of memory (1/4 of the 2250s memory), probably already seeing the results from the 1216.

The 1225 will have a slightly larger hard drive, but does not have newer software.  No need to upgrade the RG for $105, not necessary.

Easier to get what you want from Uverse Care, just click the link in my sig and send them a PM.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)

12 of 21 (2,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2014 10:10:33 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cathy2981 on Sep 29, 2014 at 10:21:04 AM

Chris,
ATT told me I had to upgrade my modem for $105 to upgrade my DVR and that my modem was already upgraded remotely. I requested the 2250 but was told I would get whatever was in stock. I made the order and it should arrive in a couple days as it has been shipped. If I get the smaller capacity DVR can I complain and get my $105 back? Thanks for the information.

Tom B[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]
Parks & Recreation Specialist
CA State Parks
Division of Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation

Chris,
ATT told me I had to upgrade my modem for $105 to upgrade my DVR and that my modem was already upgraded remotely. I requested the 2250 but was told I would get whatever was in stock. I made the order and it should arrive in a couple days as it has been shipped. If I get the smaller capacity DVR can I complain and get my $105 back? Thanks for the information.

Tom B[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]
Parks & Recreation Specialist
CA State Parks
Division of Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation

[ Edited ]
13 of 21 (2,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2014 12:31:42 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @010248a,

You should not have to pay the fee if there was no upgrade. If there are any problems, I will be happy to get it fixed. I will send you a private message, so we can assist on this account specific issue.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

Hi @010248a,

You should not have to pay the fee if there was no upgrade. If there are any problems, I will be happy to get it fixed. I will send you a private message, so we can assist on this account specific issue.

-David T

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

14 of 21 (2,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2014 8:35:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

David T.,

Please send me a private message.  The $105 upgrade charge showed up on my new bill.  Thanks.

Tom B.

David T.,

Please send me a private message.  The $105 upgrade charge showed up on my new bill.  Thanks.

Tom B.

15 of 21 (2,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2015 9:33:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

I was also charged the $105.00 fee. Also, I was told that I was to receive the DVR Pace IP8010 with a max of 330 HD hours, while I received the Cisco ISB7500 with a max of 169 HD hours.

I was told that I could still use my old DVR to watch the shows which I currently have on it. Now, when I plug the old DVR in, it says "Account unavailable". "This set top box does not match the account settings". Now they want to send out a technician to figure it all out. I said that for now, I will try by myself. They also gave me a new modem, which later, they said that I do not need. And today, with all of my problems, they said I should probably hook it up. What ?!?

I was also charged the $105.00 fee. Also, I was told that I was to receive the DVR Pace IP8010 with a max of 330 HD hours, while I received the Cisco ISB7500 with a max of 169 HD hours.

I was told that I could still use my old DVR to watch the shows which I currently have on it. Now, when I plug the old DVR in, it says "Account unavailable". "This set top box does not match the account settings". Now they want to send out a technician to figure it all out. I said that for now, I will try by myself. They also gave me a new modem, which later, they said that I do not need. And today, with all of my problems, they said I should probably hook it up. What ?!?

16 of 21 (808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2015 10:18:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can only have one DVR hooked up and on your account. 

I'm sorry you were misinformed.

You can only have one DVR hooked up and on your account. 

I'm sorry you were misinformed.

17 of 21 (793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2015 10:48:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@rfm1213rfm  Old DVR needs to be taken to UPS and returned, no longer on your account or accessible.  One of the RGs will have to be returned too.  Otherwise they willbe charging you for these items.

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Account-Questions/How-to-Return-U-verse-Equipment/m-p/4287959

Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)

@rfm1213rfm  Old DVR needs to be taken to UPS and returned, no longer on your account or accessible.  One of the RGs will have to be returned too.  Otherwise they willbe charging you for these items.

https://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Account-Questions/How-to-Return-U-verse-Equipment/m-p/4287959

Smiley Wink

Chris

Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)

18 of 21 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2015 6:54:06 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Nov 12, 2015 at 7:06:28 AM

I was told by AT&T that I could plug either the old or the new DVR in. That way I could watch my shows before sending the old one back. They even extended my return time so I could do this. I have all of this in writing too, nice thing about live chat. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I was told by AT&T that I could plug either the old or the new DVR in. That way I could watch my shows before sending the old one back. They even extended my return time so I could do this. I have all of this in writing too, nice thing about live chat. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
19 of 21 (693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2015 7:14:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

rfm1213rfm wrote:

Chat agents make stuff up as they go along.  I don't think they have the power to give an extension.  The U-verse management system will only allow one DVR in your home.  The RG and every receiver in your home should normally be rebooted when you change the DVR out anyway.

I'd tell you to PM one of the customer care groups, but there's nothing they can really do to change it now.

rfm1213rfm wrote:

Chat agents make stuff up as they go along.  I don't think they have the power to give an extension.  The U-verse management system will only allow one DVR in your home.  The RG and every receiver in your home should normally be rebooted when you change the DVR out anyway.

I'd tell you to PM one of the customer care groups, but there's nothing they can really do to change it now.

20 of 21 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2015 7:37:49 AM
(0)
Employee

One DVR per account....

When they shipped you the new DVR an order is created with pending delete of old DVR and install of new, once the swap is completed the old DVR is no longer assigned to your account nor are any of the recordings accessible. Therefore the message you receive when trying to plug old DVR back in.

Phone agents are not techs.

One DVR per account....

When they shipped you the new DVR an order is created with pending delete of old DVR and install of new, once the swap is completed the old DVR is no longer assigned to your account nor are any of the recordings accessible. Therefore the message you receive when trying to plug old DVR back in.

Phone agents are not techs.

21 of 21 (657 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments