For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
hawk27614's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, September 26th, 2016 5:51 PM

Connect Cisco Receiver 7105 to Netgear Wifi Extender

I have a 7105 receiver that is at the edge of the range of my router and has in insufficient signal.  I succesfully installed and connected a Netgear Wifi Extender to my network.  How do I connect the receiver to the Extender?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I should also mention that my receiver is presently connected to my WAP.  I need to disconnect it from the WAP and connect to the Extender.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@hawk27614 - The wi-fi that the wextender is connected to is for internet access, not TV. THere is no wi-fi extension for the WAP/wireless STB. Get a longer cat5 cable to connect the WAP & move it closer to the TV.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

That's not possible.  The WAP is downstairs (and feeding 2 other tv's), and the receiver with issues is upstairs.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@hawk27614 - Look for any posssible move. A short distance may make a big difference. The WAP should be at two meters away from the RG.

Originally, the WAP only supported two STBs. Are you sure you have three? I guess that is possible, but unlikely.

I see posts saying there are different models of WAP that can make a difference.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

The newer ones support 3 according to the tech who installed my system.  I've rearranged everything as much as possible but still only have 2 red bars on the upstairs receiver.  Looks like I need to call tech support.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

8 years ago

Note that most Wireless Access Points provide a signal best represented as a horizontal torus (something like a donut), not a sphere.  Which means it works best on the horizontal plane when the WAP is in its normal horizontal configuration.

You can try an experiment: prop the WAP at an angle so that the upstairs receiver is in the plane with the WAP and see if that helps it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

That made a huge difference.  Thanks JefferMC and aviewer!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.