Ender519's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Wednesday, December 7th, 2011 3:07 AM

Confirmed: vip2250 fixes surround sound audio dropouts!

I had a vip1225 hooked up via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (HT-S8400 to be specific) and I had problems with audio dropouts on surround.  Every few seconds, for a fraction of a second, the audio would drop.  It drove me nuts and I tried everything to fix it.. I tried different (new) HDMI cables, and even a different home theater system!   In the end, I had to keep it on stereo.

I went over and over this with UVerse support.  They kept wanting to send me to the paid support line for help configuring my home theater system and out of four techs I spoke to, none ackowledged hearing anything about audio dropouts over HDMI with surround.  In fact, they kept insisting that I plug the HDMI straight to the TV and I kept having to explain my TV is a stereo device, not a surround device so it's not a good test.  They also immediately started jumping on the bandwagen saying surround sound is out of scope.  I saw a couple of posts about the vip2250 fixing this issue but none of the techs would entertain that idea.

Finally I pled my case to a very nice agent in billing who had to go WAY out of her way to get me a vip2250.  Hooked it up and sure enough all audio dropout problems are resolved!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Boy it sure seems like if you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck.

Both the VIP2250 and the Theta Digital piece worked for me without the issues you are experiencing. The Theta Digital worked great as a work around for the HDMI audio dropouts on my VIP1225 and the VIP2250 corrected the HDMI audio dropouts completely negating my need for a work around at all and no video problem for me with the VIP2250.

How much do you want for the Theta Digital TLC? I will try and find a buyer for you.

I am sorry you are going through all these hoops to get your audio and video to respond properly. This is a great forum and I am sure someone here will get you back to enjoying your home theater again. 

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

@Agent 305 wrote:

Boy it sure seems like if you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck.

Both the VIP2250 and the Theta Digital piece worked for me without the issues you are experiencing. The Theta Digital worked great as a work around for the HDMI audio dropouts on my VIP1225 and the VIP2250 corrected the HDMI audio dropouts completely negating my need for a work around at all and no video problem for me with the VIP2250.

How much do you want for the Theta Digital TLC? I will try and find a buyer for you.

I am sorry you are going through all these hoops to get your audio and video to respond properly. This is a great forum and I am sure someone here will get you back to enjoying your home theater again. 

Thanks, ya story of my life.  I just roll with the punches at this point 😉  I put the 2250 back down on the VT50 for now.  Audio distorting/dropping out was drivng me nuts.

I paid $86+$12 shipping on ebay  ($98 total).  Don't feel bad, I bet it did work on your AVR and TV.  It's not you're responsibility here, but I do appreciate the help!

If this is the worst thing I have going on in my life... life is cake 😄

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Ugh, I tried to watch the 2250 on my TV but I just can't get into it.  The blacks are clipped color isn't right then add in the dynamic palette/grayscale adjustements are just too much. 

AT&T needs to address this.  I can't be the only one who has noticed this about the 2250.  It does this on both of my TVs.

So I either have crap audio /w good video or good audio with crap video.  With the 2250  clipped blacks I have to keep brightness up higher, which then make everything look a bit washed out.  Missing shadow detail on the 2250, and that dynamic re-vamping of the grayscale is frustrating.  I hope this all gets addressed in a future update 🙂

Be nice if some AT&T person who has some power can help me out by maybe sending me a better STB 😄  Not sure if the cisco boxes have alll of these bugs too.  I don't mind beta testing 😄

So for now I'll have to manually switch back and forth between stereo and 5.1 😞  I do wonder if the other DVR VIP1220 would work with the Theta.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, infinity1976 even with a budgie TV it happens, it may happen with a CRT TV. I think, You put forth the supposition that it may be the VIP2250's video chip driver (the mysterious Broadcom binary blob), and it could be.  I've used a computer that does this shifty blooming of gamma/color while applications load, and it's video driver is a non OEM release; however it's shifting stops.

Oh well. Cat LOL

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

So this thread has been here for some time, but I just installed a new set up with a Onkyo NX-818 and Sharp TV. I have the Cisco IPTV reciever and like everyone else, when recieving the 2.X during commericals or on a HD channel that is not 5.1 I get the Audio Cut out and Pauses. I realize the work around is to give up surround sound and put the STB in Stereo mode but after spending all this money on the surround set up I want it to work. Is the only option to get the VIP2550 and live with this new video issue, or is there another fix more current maybe for the Cisco boxes to support the DD2.0 format?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

randSport96 - Does the Onkyo have option settings for the input - LIke auto detect vs. set to a surround format.

Did you try each to see if one works better than the other?

Could be auto-detect takes time to sample the input. Could be a surround setting is or is not compatible with the ad sound.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

The IPN330HD is set to "surround mode" this is when the problem occurs on a HD channel when switched to "Stereo" no issue, but no surround sound either. The Onkyo switches from "TV Logic" when in surround mode to "THX Cinema" since the HDMI from the IPN330HD is into the HDMI on the Onkyo is "Auto Detect" When in "surround mode" on the STB I have manually changed all the sound settings and still get the audio cut outs regardless of the sound format. That is why on Thursday I have a tech coming and going to ask him to swap out all the Cisco receivers fro Motorola VIP's with a 2250 in place of the current IPN330HD to solve for this unless someone has found another more acceptable solution. Note as others have stated when the signal is 5.1 and the STB is in surround mode there are no issues, only when the broadcast is NOT 5.1 like 2.X the problems occur.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

Grandsport on my NR818 what I do us use two inputs (sort of). On tbe 818 use the "dvr/stb" as your main hdmi input for DD 5.1 but also connect some analog Rca audio cables from the stb to the "TV" input on the 818. The "TV" input can use hdmi for video and analog for audio. Then just depth between the two. I highly recommend using neo-x on the analog input. Just remember to duplicate your video settings between the inputs (if you have any). Also the sub will need to come up a bit on the "TV" input using analog.

With neo-x and analog unless I'm watching an action show theres not much reason to switch between them. once you have everything tweaked switch back and forth between a sure in 5.1 and the analog with neo-x. You'll be shocked. While not as good it's 80% I'd say.

They need to address the video issues on the 2250, hopefully the next release they will.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

11 years ago

I confirmed today video problems with 2250 exist in both hdmi and component video outputs.

1. Video is clipping blacks
2. Gamma is off
3. Video is in wrong color space? In see tint in lower grayscale. Everything looks a bit off saturation wise. Tinted red tones in grayscale is bad.

4.  Fix your video encoders so the video is stable in near black sections.  All of the flickering in dark areas is very distracting.  You see brightness pops in darker areas of video.  The encoder is getting tripped up near black on some feeds.

All of this observed on a monitor calibrated to 709 specs. Problems exist on both hdmi and component outputs. AT&T. Please fix this. The 2250 makes everything look worse. How does this stuff pass your q&a department? Basic video stuff here....

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I know this is a dead thread on page two but I thought I would let everyone know I had U-Verse installed 2/5/2013 and just a few hours after installation I was getting the popping and dropped sounds on my VIP1225 DVR connected through my Samsung Soundbar via HDMI.. 

I called Tech Support and I hard reset the DVR and it fixed the issue, for now. So we'll see what it does after that and if it comes back. Hopefully not..

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.