For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
tavara6's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2012 11:50 AM

Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

The wireless STB has a known issue that T needs to address. When viewing recorded content, either SD or HD, the message "Press OK to See Your Recording" appears about every 5 minutes in a white box at the bottom of the screen. The only way to rectify is to press OK, which brings you to the recorded content menu. You then have to select the show you are watching and press Resume Play.  Im returning this box for a refund.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

How close did you move the WAP to the receiver.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Has anyone ever seen the white bar that displays:

Press OK to browse a list of recordings

When watching recorded tv shows this pops up constantly like every 5 minutes or even more.  It is either watch TV with this bar or constantly resume the progarm and fast forward to where i was in a show. 

Having wireless receivers cleaned up a lot of uverse issues that were in my system due to poor coax within my house. Should I get new receivers or could there be a new Sw load that fixes this bug. This has been going on for most of the time we have had these receivers. 

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

My WAP is connected to the RJ-45 jack on the back of the STB on the other side of the wall (kitchen) from the wirless receiver (living room) and over about five feet.  The receiver is inside a wood cabinet, so between the receiver and the WAP I have:  five feet of distance, the wood back of the cabinet, a sheetrock wall, and some travertine tiles.  I no longer get the bar at the bottom of the screen, although I do get occasional stutter (freeze, go, freeze, go).

No I don't consider this a solution...just a stop gap measure.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Did the new box resolve your problem with "Press OK to view a list of recordings?" - I'm suffering through this issue now....

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

@davidMenlo wrote:
Did the new box resolve your problem with "Press OK to view a list of recordings?" - I'm suffering through this issue now....

I got a new box, WAP, RG, outside box, and cables from WAP to RG. Only thing original is DVR and Ethernet cable to DVR. It made no difference.Was going to put gigabit switch in this weekend, but didn't get to it. Other poster says he had to move the WAP very close to the box. That's not feasable for me and I might as well have a wired box if that's what it takes.

I'm still leaning toward RG/DVR communication issues with the wireless box. Live TV never has a problem with any glitches, and I've occasionally used On Demand without a problem. It's only talking to the DVR getting the recorded shows. I'll throw the switch in tonight to see what happens.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

I wrestled with all the same ideas.  My DVR was originally in another room connected via coax.  I moved it so that it is connected via Cat 5e directly to the RG.  That did not fix the "white bar" problem, so I continued tinkering.  Moved the WAP closer to the TV, but the RG and TV were on different floors, and Wifi is notorius for not traveling up and down well, and that made no difference either.  

[Note.  I think it is widely known that a wired STB, if connected via coax to the RG, can function as an Ethernet switch via the RJ45 jack on the back of the STB.  This can be used to connect a computer to your LAN, although there could be noticable loss of picture quality if the STB is concurrently serving TV and network activity.  Coax is only a 10Mb connection--just about enough for HDTV, but not enough for HDTV and Internet.  I've used the RJ45 jack for a Roku, where I had a weak wifi signal, and in that application it worked fine, since I would not be playing TV through the STB and using Roku at the same time.]

When I moved the WAP to the kitchen it was an act of desperation.  Officially, the WAP is supposed to be connected only to the RG, not to the RJ45 jack on an STB.  I had a wired STB in the kitchen on the other side of a wall from the TV, though, so I tried it.  No I'm not thrilled with that arrangement, as now I have in a corner on the kitchen counter, a wired STB, Roku receiver, and the WAP, all behind a 22" HDTV.  While the TV hides all the other stuff fairly well, I think the WAP interferes with the Roku, as I never get a strong signal on that box.

In any case, I never get the white bar any more, but I do occasionally have the message from the wireless STB that there are no recorded programs.  I then have to reset the wireless STB to get it working again.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

Gave the switch a try... DVR and wireless on gigabit switch with new ethernet cables. Same issues. I'll run a longer ethernet cable this week and try the WAP somewhat closer. It will be within about 20- 30 feet then. If it still fails. ATT can run a new cable and give me another wired box.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

12 years ago

Just a few things I thought I'd respond to:

1) RE: WiFi not going up and down stairs well: Think of the area served by a wireless antenna as a donut around the antenna (toroid is the correct term, for anyone who cares).  Anyway, if you angle that antenna, you can reorient the the donut. It might serve you well to adjust your wireless access device's attenna orientation to cover where in your home you want covered.  (If the antenna is inside the device, then you have to orient the whole device).

2) The HPNA protocol over RG6 coax can handle bit rates up over 100 Mbps, much better than the Thin-wire Ethernet over RG58 where I'm guessing you got the 10 Mbps number from.  This is with tight connections, undamaged cable, correct diplexors, etc.  A year after installation, I found it necessary to replace an coax run with an Ethernet run probably because of degradation of a cable due to a radical turn in a junction box.

However, theoretically, Coax can handle everything a Uverse system can throw at it, bitrate wise.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

On coax.  If you have a new home or new wiring, you may be able to get faster than 10Mb over coax.  My house is 22 years old, and even when it was new, the cable company guy commented on the low coax cable quality.  I've run Internet speed tests from a laptop connected to a coax-wired STB as well as from my Vizio TV itself.  With my 18Mb U-verse Internet, the best I can get over the Coax is approximately 9600 bps.  My wireless laptop connection is faster, and will report 16.25, or about the same as I get with my desktop connected to the RG via Cat 5e.

It's likely that mine was not the only home built in America with coax wiring selected for its cost rather than its quality, since building codes address electrical wiring and not cable TV speed.  That said, you've got nothing to lose by trying the RJ45 jack on your wired STB to see what it can do.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

I got a wired box (again) to replace the wireless box that has given me nothing but problems. They wanted to charge me, but I was having none of that. It never worked and the original wired install was wrong. They had to run new cable, but I'm back to using my second TV on a wired box. The installer was good, but says he has never heard of an issue with the wireless boxes???

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.