rojozia's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 11:34 PM

Cannot disable the battery audible alert on 2wire modem

I just started a Uverse internet service that uses a 2Wire modem.  For some reason the battery audible alert keeps coming on.  The Power button blinks red, and, the audible comes on.  I know that there is no problem with the power.  So ... I logged into the modem, and, then, using my modem password, disabled the alert.  When I did this, I received a message saying "Warning you are permanently disabling the audible alert"  So I was happy.  But ... the alert still goes off, and I still hear it.  It is driving me crazy.  Anybody got any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

12 years ago

That is a known issue by the techs. (atleast i hope). The only fix we found is to swap both the battery and the inid (outside unit). Its a communication error between the outside unit and the battery casing. It is not service affecting just annoying. Put in a call and have a tech come swap both units.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Is this a Belkin battery?  Is there a button on the front of the battery to silence the alert?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I don't know what kind of battery is inside the 2Wire modem. There is a 'Press to silence the alerm' button on the outside of the modem. When the alarm goes off, I run to the box, but by the time I get there, the alarm stops. So ... if I press the button nothing happens.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I'm sorry that I forgot to mention a couple of things.  There are two lights on the front of the modem.  One is "Power" and the other is "Battery".  For the majority of the time, both lights are green.  When I hear the audible alarm the "Power" light blinks red. 

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@rojozia wrote:
I don't know what kind of battery is inside the 2Wire modem. There is a 'Press to silence the alerm' button on the outside of the modem. When the alarm goes off, I run to the box, but by the time I get there, the alarm stops. So ... if I press the button nothing happens.

There is no battery inside the 2Wire modem.  The battery backup is a separate unit.

Which 2Wire modem do you have?

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

12 years ago

He has an inid.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you both both for your help.  I will call AT&T and let them know.  After reading your responses,  I realize that I have been refering to my "modem" in all my posts, but I should have said INID (I think that the box is also called a PDU, 'power distribution unit'.  The problem is with the box that houses the backup battery, NOT the modem.  Sorry for the confusion, I am just now learning all the names for all the boxes, and, thanks again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am having the exact same problem. POWER light randomly blinking red. ( not the battery light)  No problems with service everything works fine. Tech support has been out twice, changed out box twice, ran new wires  yet I still have the beeping noise. If it continues sadly  Im just canceling my service. the beeeping noise is making me mad ( crazy) with no solution this is unacceptable. Im glad to read Im not the only one, they made me think my case has never been seen before. Obviously it is a known isue. The audible sound SHOULD be able to be silenced PERIOD !!!!!!!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

We had a pretty good windstorm that hit last week and I think that it must have caused a temporary (as in a milisecond) power loss.  My wife woke me and said that sometrhing was beeping and that there were no lights on, on the RG.   I knew that the shrill tone was the Belkin.  By the way - I do not have U-Voice

I called 1-800-288-2020 after looking over the Belkin for a reset button.  The AT&T T1 was of no help and refered me to Belkin Smiley Surprised  He then told me to bypass the Battery Backup but that seemed impossible as the power cord that went from the RG to the Belkin unit was hardwired in to the Belkin.  He then said that he would have to mail me a new RG.  I said STOP THE MADNESS!  I then looked again, at the Belkin and found a power switch.  I turned it off, then back on and silence and the RG started back up.  Solved it myself.  The T1 informed me that my RG requires a battery backup, even if I do not have U-Voice.  Since he had struck out all around, I'll take that :one "under advisement." Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.