ljtanner1949's profile

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

Sunday, May 31st, 2015 4:26 PM

All my recordings have been deleted

I've got two things going on here and they may or may not be related.  A few weeks ago, I started using a computer monitor that is capable of 720p hd as the output to my dvr.  It's old and only has a VGA connector, so I bought a VGA to HDMI cable that included an output for sound.  I'm also using a 5 port HDMI switch to channel various video to the monitor like the dvr, a roku player and soon, a raspberry pi.  Getting it all working took a little time, but I was successful.  The dvr has been recording just fine even though  I've had to reboot the dvr a few times to get it working again, but I wasn't concerned.  

Last evening I turned on the big tv in another room that is connected wirelessly to watch something.  It told me the recording list wasn't available.  I've been getting those message for the past year on an off and know I have to check my setup.  I watched a little live tv and later went back to the dvr to check on it.  The monitor wasn't getting any data at first, so I rebooted the dvr by holding the power off switch for a long time.  No joy, so I unplugged the dvr for a short time.  Still no joy, so I unplugged it for a longer time - maybe 5 minutes.  It finally went through the reboot process and came up.  Unfortunately all my recordings were gone.

So anybody have any idea what is going on here?  The dvr is about a year old, so should still be ok.  And we got somesort of os update this past week.

TIA

LT

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@ljtanner1949   Tha fact you had to keep rebooting the DVR should've caused you to stop and ask for help earlier.  The DVR does not like to not get the 'see ya later' signal on the HDMI connection; which it's not getting if you switch the input to another input on the switcher.

After this all happened, the DVR thought something was really wrong (when the power button would not reboot it) and might have done a Disaster Recovery.  This would re-format the disk, download all the software and erase all recordings.

If you had used component connections, the DVR wouldn't have cared, it wouldn't know it was switched. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  One thing I failed to mention is that my series info is still intact - just my recordings are gone.

So, you're saying that the dvr is sensitive to the hdmi being switched?  Why would that be?

LT

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@ljtanner1949 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  One thing I failed to mention is that my series info is still intact - just my recordings are gone.

So, you're saying that the dvr is sensitive to the hdmi being switched?  Why would that be?

LT

Series info reside on ATT servers, so they are never lost.

The DVRs have always been very sensitive to not getting the 'see ya later' signal to close out the communication, nobody knows why. 

We do see the switcher problem somewhat often and the solution is bring the DVR in on the component input and have everything else come in by HDMI/VGA on the switcher.   This will solve the problem and will provide the same PQ as HDMI.

Inexpensive component cables:  http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10235

Good luck 😉

Chris

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, if I get a component (into dvr) to hdmi (into existing switch) cable and use my existing switcher, will that work?  I want to continue using the switch so I don't have to unplug/replug when I want to change sources.

Thanks again.

LT

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@ljtanner1949 wrote:

Ok, if I get a component (into dvr) to hdmi (into existing switch) cable and use my existing switcher, will that work?  I want to continue using the switch so I don't have to unplug/replug when I want to change sources.

Thanks again.

LT

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AComponent%20To%20Hdmi%20Converter

This might be what you're looking for and should not casue a problem for the DVR.  It will be on component, one way communication.  Good luck 😉

Chris

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, so I'll get a component to hdmi converter box and use one of the many component cables I have lying around.

That'll work, right?

Thanks again.

LT

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@ljtanner1949 wrote:

Ok, so I'll get a component to hdmi converter box and use one of the many component cables I have lying around.

That'll work, right?

Thanks again.

LT

I'd say yes, but I've never tried it so just going by the info; which seem straightforward w/RGB and rt/lft audio input. 😉

Chris

Mentor

• 

77 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks again.  I'll let you know when I get all the bits I need.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I've never met this situation before...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.