For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Papolytic's profile

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

Saturday, May 16th, 2015 1:07 PM

About "look-ahead" on the VIP2250 DVR

For years I had a MOT. VIP 1225 and it worked slow but well until it started blacking out recently. It was replaced by a quicker and higher capacity VIP 2250. Here's the desciption of the "problem" if it is a problem at all:

Something I liked about the 1225 (not to mention every other DVR I ever worked on as an engineer) was the "lookahead" feature that allowed you while fast-forwarding through a commercial to see frames ahead of where it would go when you hit stop or play. This let you get to the video without endless rewinds, fast-forwards, etc. 

Something I dislike about the 2250 is that almost the opposite is true. It never allows "lookahead" and is always in a lousy place after fast-forward, usually about a minute past the commercial. Rewind is similarly stupid putting you into the commercial requring more fast-forwarding. 

Is that by intent (so are they all alike) or is there any recourse for that situation or am I stuck with it? It didn't cost me anything and I suspect I could get ATT to give me some other model, but is there another model that has that "feature" (well, I call it a great feature, but mayber that wasn't by intent either). 

Thanks - Mick

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Papolytic wrote:

As I was saying in the original post: My old 1225 worked great in this respect, it was almost always right on the frame past the commercial. This one is way off into the future with no setback. It doesn't matter if I hit play / OK or reverse to stop the fast-forward, all are equally off.

I've had the 1216, 1225 and 2250 and they all act in the exact same manner concerning the 'jump back' feature.  On 2 presses of FF>>>, when I see the frame I want, I count 1,2 and and press PLAY and it 'jumps back' to the frame I wanted.

On just 1FF>>, on a baseball example, press PLAY as the pitcher just starts to throw the ball and it 'jumps back' to his windup. 😉

Edit:  If the DVR functions are still not working properly, try a Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery.

Unplug the power cord of the DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds. Plug the DVR back in.

When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the DVR again. Repeat this process two more times.

Plug the DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.

If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above. If the Disaster Recovery screen appears, wait until completion.

If the Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery does not work, follow the steps for a Force Disaster Recovery

Re-downloads all the software. Will not erase recordings, takes a bit of time or so. Good luck.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

I've had both DVRs and have no idea what you're describing.  Are you talking about the 'skip ahead' feature?  That's no different on the DVRs. 

Skip ahead used to be 15 but it looks like it's 30 secs. now and skip back is 5 secs.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I think we are more used to calling  the feature fall back or drop back. When using the FF & hit play it drops back to compensate for reaction time. Since it is based on reaction time it falls back farther on faster FF.

Note whether you are going back too far or not far enough & adjust your reaction.

I have used it on the various model Mottos without problem at various FF speeds.  Currently a 2250. There have been a few posts complaining that it does not work well ( all u-verse software is the same). I have aways thought it was just a matter of getting used to it - getting a feel for it.

Maybe there is a defect in the OPs unit that causes it not to work.  The OP could request a replacement box.

How do you stop the FF & start normal speed? The play button? Try using the OK button. It might change your timing.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, I might not have explained it clearly. It's the thing you're calling fall back or drop back and it is to compensate for reaction time. While it's entirely possible that it's my particular box it doesn't really depend on hardware as much as some things do so I'll try your suggestion of using the OK button to stop the motion and see if it helps. 

I've seen that software (while working on Pace) and it's pretty one of rare self-contained module that I don't quite see how a bad box could be bad in such a way to affect it but I'm wrong all the time, so if OK doesn't work, I'll have someone out to try another box,

Thanks.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

Edit: I didn't quite ask what I wanted to so I'll fix this post up:

I just tried your suggestion, hitting the OK button to end the fast-forward and it "seems" as if it's a little "better" but no where near as good as the 1225 was. I guess I'd like to know from you whether your fast-foward -> (either) pause or play or OK are able to plop you into the spot you'd like to be in on the 2250? Also if I have to get another are there further choices than the 2250? 

I suspect I'll have to have another one brought out to replace this one. The Cisco wifi satellite in the living room displays the same behavior as the 2250 in the other room.  Of course, the 2250 is the "mothership" so maybe it's all on the 2250.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Perhaps my expectations are not as high as yours because I had no previous experience with a DVR. Sounds like you do.

I generally, watch the adds fly by & seem to stop exactly right or one blip early or late. I do not like late because I have to back up. I usually use 2 FFs. Sometimes more. Before final jeopardy the ads are endless & they even have a land mine that looks like final, but is an ad.

I think the ads have gotten a lot longer (not to say more frequent) than they were ten years ago.

Is the fallback consistently late or early for you? Try to change hitting the play button earlier or later. Try one FF & when you stop it where you want it move up to two & so on.

The play button is supposed to have the timed fallback. I do not know about the OK button. Try the jumpback if you do not have enough fallback or the jump ahead if you have too much.

I believe the 2250 is considered the best of the Motos. Most storage & fastest. If you replace it you will lose your recordings, but not your series setup & future schedule.

Yes, the 2250 does the all the work, even for the othe STBs.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

On my (older model) DVR, I press Play to end FFx2, and it backs up about 7 seconds from the frame displayed when I pressed Play.  If I hit pause (which my wife does), it will stop at the frame displayed.  I've never tried pressing OK.

I do not know what other AT&T DVRs do because this is the only AT&T DVR I've ever had.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

It is consistantly late. It is quite late, as much as 15-20 seconds. It's not even in the same ballpark as the 1225. 

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

As I was saying in the original post: My old 1225 worked great in this respect, it was almost always right on the frame past the commercial. This one is way off into the future with no setback. It doesn't matter if I hit play / OK or reverse to stop the fast-forward, all are equally off.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

9 years ago

I even booted it in diagnostic mode to see if I could possibly have a flag set wrong but then I realized that there was not a heck of a lot I could set that would live past a reboot, and nothing that I wanted to set. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.