Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Duplicate posts in a thread - Why?

ACE - Master

Duplicate posts in a thread - Why?

Does anyone else notice that in some threads some posts (not all) are listed twice as two distinct posts (post count goes up) in that thread? It's as if the Reply button was clicked twice but I don't think you can do that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 38
Professor

Re: Duplicate posts in a thread - Why?

Here's one with three

EDIT: After posting I checked the link to verify it's to the right topic and it is.  So if this one disappears at least I'll know I'm not totally nuts. Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 38
Administrator

Hey there @_xyzzy_  and @spoom2- it's a glitch we think relating to replying via email.  It's being worked and should (hopefully) be fixed soon.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 38
ACE - Master

Thanks @beckyww for the info.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 38
ACE - Master

I have another possible piece of info I just noticed about this doubling problem along with something concerning.

The possible info, or just another "data point" illustrating the problem is this thread.   It may indicate that the doubling is from specific users.  That thread has four duplicates (9/10, 12/13, 14/16, 18/19) all from the same poster, all starting at post 9.  I just thought I point that out.  That poster is the OP.

The concern is this thread I saw today.  Again a post from the OP's doubled up.  But in this case s/he supplied an email address, i.e. private info that needs to be edited out.  The moderator (@cathy2981) did edit out the second of the double post but missed the first (at least at the time I am posting this).  Not her fault for not noticing.  But the doubling problem does point out something other than just being a little annoying that I had not thought of before.

Message 19 of 38
Administrator

_xyzzy_ wrote:

I have another possible piece of info I just noticed about this doubling problem along with something concerning.

The possible info, or just another "data point" illustrating the problem is this thread.   It may indicate that the doubling is from specific users.  That thread has four duplicates (9/10, 12/13, 14/16, 18/19) all from the same poster, all starting at post 9.  I just thought I point that out.  That poster is the OP.

The concern is this thread I saw today.  Again a post from the OP's doubled up.  But in this case s/he supplied an email address, i.e. private info that needs to be edited out.  The moderator (@cathy2981) did edit out the second of the double post but missed the first (at least at the time I am posting this).  Not her fault for not noticing.  But the doubling problem does point out something other than just being a little annoying that I had not thought of before.

Thanks for the additional info, @_xyzzy_. I went ahead and edited out the private info in the duplicated post. I was thinking about removing the dupe post overall, but decided to leave it for dev's research.

Thanks again!
Dave

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 38
ACE - Expert

I believe the duplicate posts appear when people reply to the forum via e-mail.

Sometimes 1, 2 or even 3 get posted...

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 21 of 38
    ACE - Master

@garylapointe:

That was mentioned earlier.  So how do you reply to a forum thread (for example this reply) via email?  Where do you send the email to to guarantee it ends up as a reply in the desired thread?

Message 22 of 38
    ACE - Expert

@_xyzzy_ wrote:

That was mentioned earlier.  So how do you reply to a forum thread (for example this reply) via email?  Where do you send the email to to guarantee it ends up as a reply in the desired thread?

I believe you can turn on e-mail notifications so that it e-mails you for every reply to your post. Then there is a reply above this line marker in the message (occasionally you'll see them).

But that's too many e-mails if you spend a bit of time here!  Plus it makes it difficult for tagging.

And the people doing it don't realize their answer has NO CONTEXT, so if I ask someone "Are you certain stream saver is off?" and several others ask them questions, but they reply "YES" then there is no clear path as to who they are responding to. 

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 23 of 38
    ACE - Master

Just stumbled into another (confusing) side effect of this "doubling".  One of my posts was marked as solved in a thread but it spawned two notifications.   At least the total Solved count properly counted it only as one.

Message 24 of 38
    Administrator

@spoom2, @_xyzzy_ & @garylapointe,

I just wanted to give you a very quick update. After reporting this issue to our developers, they investigated and believe they've found a fix. They are planning on including this fix in their next release but, unfortunately, I don't have a solid ETA on that release.

Thank you all, again, for bringing this to our attention and for providing the examples that our developers could look at.

Thanks!!!

Dave

Employee Contributor*
    Message 25 of 38
    ACE - Expert

@davidbk Thanks for the update! 

PLEASE let us know when it is done so we know it's supposed to be gone and if we see it we know to report it...

Message 26 of 38
    Administrator

garylapointe wrote:

@davidbk Thanks for the update! 

PLEASE let us know when it is done so we know it's supposed to be gone and if we see it we know to report it...

Will do, @garylapointe!

- Dave

Employee Contributor*
    Message 27 of 38
    Administrator

@spoom2, @garylapointe, @_xyzzy_ & @beckyww,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you all. Our developers informed us that a fix for this issue which - as y'all indicated - was related to the replying from email workflow was deployed into production this afternoon. At this point, we should no longer have duplication of posts.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and, if you notice it reoccurring, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks!
    Dave

Employee Contributor*
    Message 28 of 38
    Professor

Appreciate the update. 

Message 29 of 38
    ACE - Expert

@davidbk Awesome, I'll let you know if I see any more.

Thank you!

Message 30 of 38
    Share this topic
    Share this topic
    Announcements...

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Come on in and introduce yourself!

Additional Support