Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Omarc44's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 3:38 AM

can you use an unlocked phone with a pay as you go plan?

hi well i was wondering if anyone knew if u can use a unlocked phone like say the nokia n8 on a go phone plan? Also i checked the att website and i found out they sell sim cards for 5 bucks does anyone kno if u can use those sim cards to use with go phones? Like if i odered one and i activated online can it be used with a go phone like make it prepaid? Also can this work with a nokia n8 on a go phone plan? Thankz

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

It does look like there are areas even with post paid service where at&t seems to be indicating on their coverage viewer that you have to have a 3G device in order to have network access.  The Samsung C3322 is not a 3G device - it is quad-band GSM only. 

I don't know that it will explain it, but since you didn't say where you are located I'd take a look at the coverage viewer at a detailed level to see if you are in an area where at&t indicates that prepaid service requires a 3G phone while post paid service is available with a 2G device.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I'm in Corvallis, OR. I looked at the coverage maps and they look the same for pre-paid and everything else. It doesn't seem like a 3G phone is required.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@gregfcarlson wrote:

I'm in Corvallis, OR. I looked at the coverage maps and they look the same for pre-paid and everything else. It doesn't seem like a 3G phone is required.

That is odd - as you say, the coverage map indicates the same level/type of coverage for prepaid and post paid accounts.

Sorry, I can't really think of anything else it could be.  Although, have you tried your prepaid SIM in any other devices that are known to be working with at&t's service in the area?  I'm wondering if it could be just a problem with the SIM itself or the prepaid account provisioning.  If you haven't already done something along those lines to confirm your SIM/account is actually functioning, I'd have the store personnel check that end of things.  (Seems like you've checked multiple SIMs in the phone to the point of ensuring the phone works/recognizes various SIMs; but if you haven't checked your SIM in other devices maybe that's where the trouble lies.)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I've only ran into the issue once.  My experience happened after AT&T decided to place a 6 month lock on freshly activated pre-paid sim cards.  In order to get the phone to work on goPhone service (and I don't remember the brand), I had to get a new card and activate it in the desired phone.  The phone was a dual-sim quad-band GSM, but couldn't use a card that was freshly activated on an actual goPhone.

I heard that the blue and white SIM activated on goPhone do not have the 6-month lock that the orange and white SIM have.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.