Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
davidk21770's profile

Explorer

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, September 11th, 2011 9:34 AM

What happens to rollover when I switch data packages

I usually don't use all of the 100mb data package ($15).  If I let it roll over for a while, then switch to the 10mb ($5) for a month to keep it "alive" and save $, will it roll the whole thing over or penalize me some how?  Or, say $25 (500mb), then $5/month until I ran it down, then 500mb again.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

13 years ago

@davidk21770 wrote:

I usually don't use all of the 100mb data package ($15).  If I let it roll over for a while, then switch to the 10mb ($5) for a month to keep it "alive" and save $, will it roll the whole thing over or penalize me some how?  Or, say $25 (500mb), then $5/month until I ran it down, then 500mb again.

Thanks.

Hello David,

You can do exactly as you say, without any penalties, as you will rollover the data balance every [30-1]=29 days, by adding any increment you want out of the three available (10MB, 100MB, 500MB) each month.  Obviously, anytime you stop the data feature contributions on this monthly cycle, your data balance will be lost.

These are the guidelines I have followed:

1. shutdown cellular data service via a soft-switch anytime under WiFi cover, to avoid MByte balance leakage.
  2. refresh the data credits every 29 days (30-1 days) to insure that the data rollover balance is not lost due to accounting (00 hour versus 24hour accounting on the day of expiry).
  3. maintain a small positive balance (no less than $5) to cover outgoing calls and some texting under the 10cent-min plan -- must always be kept positive.
  4. cap rollover to a maximum of 2GBytes.

If I have missed something, I am sure others will correct me.  But your strategy works without a hitch.

Explorer

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks!

Scholar

• 

182 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you, David.  My pleasure that I was able to help.

Here is a post I started that you may want to read to save some more money on this economy:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Lesson-Learned-How-to-Feed-my-iPhone-as-a-GoPhone/m-p/2850679#M38641

In addition, to maximize benefits and cost savings, I also use Google Voice to avoid text charges over the talk plan, as Google Voice does texting over the data plan.  No 20cent per-message charges for me.

But that is another ball of wax, and requires porting your GoPhone number to Google Voice (or getting an all-together new Google Voice number identity).  Aside from per-message text savings, Google Voice provides a consolidated voicemail system for all your phones (virtual or physical), and delivers email and text transcription of your voicemail as well.  Check this on http://www.google.com/voice

Thanks again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Due to being caught up in a $1500 last month and my bank account was compromised I am unabled to pay my full direct tv balance by end of month which is $235.00 bcause my July mortage hill was not deducted automatically as it should have been so I have to get that in ASAP. I had to purchase new car for repossess notice was issued on car. Talk about disaster.. Dish and infinity is having big sale in which a t n t is listed on website as patterning. I can't afford the penalities. Will I be penalized if I switch to Dish. Which locks my price in for 2 years plus local stations which r Pittsburgh pa stations and cost is $50+$15 for pkg which offers what I want. Can u help?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

@lulumoon

this is a customer forum.  No we can't help, other than advice.   Put as many things on vacation hold as possible before they are overdue.  Leave them that way until you can pay.

Att will only work with you if you make arrangements before your bill is due.  ATT wireless has high reconnect fees, so keep it active and let the rest go.  

If your wireless is current, you can even request reduced rate suspension for up to 6 months.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

If I switch from $45 unlimited to daily just to use the money on the account can i just use my roll over data instead of purchasing data packages on those days ?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@ashantelle03 You only keep your rollover if you stay on the $45 plan. If you change to a daily plan, your rollover will be gone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.