Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Wednesday, May 28th, 2014 12:45 AM

Upgrade to iPhone

Hello,

I have a Samsung A157 on the $.10 minuet plan. I recently got a hand-me-down iPhone 4s. Its locked to AT&T & has a sim card in it (an AT&T sim card but not a gophone sim card). The iPhone is restored and activated.
So I want to move my gophone account (number, account balance and the $.10 plan) to the iPhone. I'm going to disable cellular data and enable wifi only, so I don't need a data plan.

I'm a little confused how to go about this. Do I need to buy a new sim card or can I just call Customer Service? I think Walmart and a few other stores carry gophone sim cards for around $10, can I use one of those or does all this have to be done at an AT&T Store?

Thanks for the help.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

So I've been reading more about this and that I could try and cut the sim card with a sharp pair of sissors. What happens if I do this and the card get messed up, can I replace it and keep my account?

I'll go to the AT&T store next week but its kind of far from where I live.

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

10 years ago

You can cut the sim card, but you might damage the sim card and cussing it unable to use on both phone.

Your best bet would be going to a att corporate store and ask them to replace a sim card for you to use on the iphone. The sim cars is free of charge. So don't worry about the cost. Also, make sure the account is under your name, and bring a photo ID with you to the store.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

guangzl1 is correct. You can try to trim your current SIM to fit the smaller slot of the iPhone, but I would not recommend using a pair of scissors or any other sharp tool unless you are very certain that you can successfully trim the SIM without messing it up and rendering it useless. I have personally used a microSIM cutter in the past that I purchased from eBay and it has been great - as easy to use as a stapler.

You can also pay a visit to an AT&T corporate store in your area, but if the location is an inconvenience for you, I would strongly suggest purchasing a microSIM cutter and trimming the SIM yourself. The cutters only cost about $5 and many even come with SIM adapters that can transform your newly cut microSIM into a regular standard-sized SIM again in seconds. Nobody would ever know the difference. 😉

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

10 years ago

Absolutely agree with wild banchi

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the help. The sim cutter sounds like a good option. Do I just pop it in after its cut or do I still have to call Customer Service after (or before) I do that?
Looks like I'd have to wait a couple weeks in shipping for one of these. I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has one.

So which account do I need in my name. My gophone account is 'prepaid customer'. I actually tried to change it to my name when I first set it up but it doesn't give me the option anywhere in Manage my Account.
The iPhone would be in my sisters name (she gave me her old phone when she upgraded to a 5s) -- do I have to have her change something before I do anything?

I'd hate to drive down to AT&T and then find out I haven't done something first. A new sim card from walmart, even at $10, would save me an hour in heavy traffic.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

the sim cards are only free @ a att corp store if you go to an authrised reseller like walmart then they are about 10 bux

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@bytewing wrote:

Thanks for the help. The sim cutter sounds like a good option. Do I just pop it in after its cut or do I still have to call Customer Service after (or before) I do that?
Looks like I'd have to wait a couple weeks in shipping for one of these. I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has one.

So which account do I need in my name. My gophone account is 'prepaid customer'. I actually tried to change it to my name when I first set it up but it doesn't give me the option anywhere in Manage my Account.
The iPhone would be in my sisters name (she gave me her old phone when she upgraded to a 5s) -- do I have to have her change something before I do anything?

I'd hate to drive down to AT&T and then find out I haven't done something first. A new sim card from walmart, even at $10, would save me an hour in heavy traffic.

Yes, that is correct. Take your current SIM out of your Samsung and trim it with the microSIM cutter. Make sure that everything is lined up correctly. After that, all you need to do is pop it into the iPhone's SIM tray. It should fit perfectly. All of your information should be on the SIM, including your phone number, account balance, and $0.10 per minute plan. You do not need to call customer service to change anything as the only things that are changing is the size of your SIM card and the fact that you would be using a new device. 

As far as the account name goes, your name is not on your current account? I'm not aware of how to change it online, if the option even exists. I seem to recall wanting to edit mine at some time or another but I could not find an option. I believe the only way to change the account holder's name would be to call customer service by dialing 611 from your phone. Keep repeating "customer service" after every automated voice prompt and you should be connected to a live representative who should be able to help you. 

Hope this helps! Good luck! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.