Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 4, 2011
12:19:21 PM
View profile
Understanding GoPhone Plans

Hi all

Im traveling to San francisco for 3 weeks vacation, and i would like to bring my HTC Desire with me and buy a new sim card that enable me to use internet.

I found http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp and it looks the ideal solution for me combined with a data pan. 

My questions is:

• Does the GoPhone plan include a simcard that i can use in my HTC desire?
  • Where can i buy the GoPhone plan? 
  • Is it possible use more money than your bought the GoPhone with? (im afraid i will get a large bill when i come home from vacation).
  • Will there be any problem in buying the GoPhone plan when im not a USA citizen?

I hope someone can help clarifying these things for me Smiley Happy 

Hi all

Im traveling to San francisco for 3 weeks vacation, and i would like to bring my HTC Desire with me and buy a new sim card that enable me to use internet.

I found http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp and it looks the ideal solution for me combined with a data pan. 

My questions is:

• Does the GoPhone plan include a simcard that i can use in my HTC desire?
  • Where can i buy the GoPhone plan? 
  • Is it possible use more money than your bought the GoPhone with? (im afraid i will get a large bill when i come home from vacation).
  • Will there be any problem in buying the GoPhone plan when im not a USA citizen?

I hope someone can help clarifying these things for me Smiley Happy 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 4, 2011 6:08:03 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:54:13 PM

Hello I don't have all the answers. Here's the answers to most of your questions:

Does the GoPhone plan include a simcard that i can use in my HTC desire?

I'm not sure if the SIM card would be free if you bought refills from the same at&t store. You would need to have your phone carrier unlocked before inserting a US SIM card, provided that you could legally unlock your phone in your country.

Where can i buy the GoPhone plan?

When you arrive in the US, you can buy a GoPhone plan at an AT&T store. While you could buy a refill card from other types of retailers, they may not have a SIM card, nor support.

Is it possible use more money than your bought the GoPhone with? (im afraid i will get a large bill when i come home

from vacation).

I don't know the answer. One thing I know that is very important is to change your voicemail PIN number ASAP. 

Will there be any problem in buying the GoPhone plan when im not a USA citizen?

Tourists and visitors can buy a GoPhone plan. You should be fine. You will not be able to activate your GoPhone while you are still outside of the USA. 

Accepted Solution

Understanding GoPhone Plans

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 4, 2011 6:08:03 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:54:13 PM

Hello I don't have all the answers. Here's the answers to most of your questions:

I'm not sure if the SIM card would be free if you bought refills from the same at&t store. You would need to have your phone carrier unlocked before inserting a US SIM card, provided that you could legally unlock your phone in your country.

When you arrive in the US, you can buy a GoPhone plan at an AT&T store. While you could buy a refill card from other types of retailers, they may not have a SIM card, nor support.

Is it possible use more money than your bought the GoPhone with? (im afraid i will get a large bill when i come home

from vacation).

I don't know the answer. One thing I know that is very important is to change your voicemail PIN number ASAP. 

Tourists and visitors can buy a GoPhone plan. You should be fine. You will not be able to activate your GoPhone while you are still outside of the USA. 

from vacation).

Re: Understanding GoPhone Plans

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (4,173 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 4:58:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:01:54 AM

You can add additional funds to your account simply by purchasing a refill card from many retailers here in the US. 

With GoPhone (prepaid) service you can't spend more than what you have in your account - you won't receive access to the network once your funds are depleted; so you can't go home to a large phone bill. Smiley Happy

IMO, the easiest thing to do is to visit a local Corporate at&t store once you arrive in the US - they will be able to fix you up with a GoPhone plan/account/SIM.  And if you'll add funds to your account while in the store, they likely will not charge you anything for the SIM. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

You can add additional funds to your account simply by purchasing a refill card from many retailers here in the US. 

With GoPhone (prepaid) service you can't spend more than what you have in your account - you won't receive access to the network once your funds are depleted; so you can't go home to a large phone bill. Smiley Happy

IMO, the easiest thing to do is to visit a local Corporate at&t store once you arrive in the US - they will be able to fix you up with a GoPhone plan/account/SIM.  And if you'll add funds to your account while in the store, they likely will not charge you anything for the SIM. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Understanding GoPhone Plans

[ Edited ]
3 of 3 (4,137 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments