Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
mopowa's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, February 3rd, 2013 8:50 PM

Switching carriers

I'm currently a pay as u go customer with another carrier and am thinking of switching to one of the pre-paid AT&T go phone plans.  I searched  the forum before posting but didn't find these answers

#1  I checked on the AT&T site and my current phone number is available to port. How long does this process take, if it makes a difference my current carrier is Net 10?

#2  I have a Moto RAZR V9x that is currently locked on AT&T can I use this phone with any Go Phone plan or do I need to unlock it first? If so would it be best for me to go to an AT&T store to buy the sim card I need and have them set up the phone and activate my service?

#3 On net 10 when you add minutes you also add service days that rollover or keep adding up regardless of the minutes you have. Do the Go Phone plans work in a similar fashion.

#4  After reading through the Go Phone site to understand how it works I have a question about the GPS app that's available. Will it work with the above mentioned phone? Would I be charged for the whole time it was running or would I have to have a data plan to use it at all?

Thanks for any help,Ang.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Hello! Smart choice for considering AT&T GoPhone! 🙂

I will answer your questions in the same number format that you used above so that it will remain organized and easy to follow...

1. My mom ported her number from Verizon Wireless this past summer to a new GoPhone account, and it was completed in about 10-15 minutes. She had a three-way call with AT&T CS and Verizon CS on the other line(s). However, I have seen phone number ports take effect as much as 24 hours later.

2. If your Motorola Razr is locked to AT&T, then you should have no trouble using it. It shouldn't need to be unlocked, unless you want to get it unlocked. You can use it on any GoPhone plan you'd like. In would say that it's best to set up a new account inside of an AT&T store. That way, you can see how everything is being handled and if you have any further questions, they can answer them there.

3. Yes, GoPhone minutes/plan expiration does work the same way. You can purchase refill cards in my multiple amounts. A $15 card will add 30 days to your account expiration date (which honestly isn't the best option). $25 and $50 will add 90 days, which is a much better option. I personally use $25 refill cards. $100 will last you a full entire year, which is nice because you won't have to worry about your account expiring.

4. The GPS app would likely work on your phone, but I'm not completely sure. You WOULD be charged for the whole time you are using it, which can add up pretty quickly. I believe the rate is 1¢ per 5KB, but I'm not completely sure. It would be best to purchase a data plan, even if it's only the $5 plan.

Hoped this help answer your questions.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

WB, Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am thinking of going with the .10/minute plan as I am not a heavy phone user,I did read somewhere that no matter how far ahead my expiration date is that it only lasts on my account for a year is this true for any unused money in my account as well? If so does the year start when I first activate my phone/account? I have been with Net 10 for a while and am not dissatisfied. The main reason I want to switch is the phone itself.

Thanks again,Angelo

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

You're welcome!

Yes, any unused money WILL be forfeited if your account expires within the year's time frame. The year also does start the day you activate your new account and phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

So if I understand your last reply correctly as long as there is money in my account and I have service days beyond the yearly anniversary date I wouldn't loose ether. From what I understand not having service days or money in my account are the only two ways my account could expire.

Thanks again, Angelo

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, you understood correctly. Just always be aware of your account expiration date so that you won't have to worry about your account expiring. You can check your balance and expiration date at any time by dialing *777# from your GoPhone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

WB, Thanks again for answering all my questions.Its clear to me now.

Angelo

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

You're welcome. 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.