Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Carol1995's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, September 30th, 2016 6:54 PM

SIM card

Is it possible to put a SIM card in an iPhone if it's still under contract if not can I get the phone unlocked and what steps do I need to take get it unlocked

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Sure, you can put a SIM card in. Beng under contract has no bearing on that. In fact, as long as it is under contract, you won't be able to get it unlocked. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

So you're saying that it is possible to put a SIM card into the phone to make your bill cheaper even though it's still under contract. This is the first time I've done this and I want to make sure I have enough knowledge before I purchase it.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

I'm not understanding that question. How does putting a SIM card into the phone make your bill cheaper? It kind of sounds like you are considering buying an iPhone from someone but they've told you their phone is still under contract. Presuming it is an ATT iPhone and they don't report the phone as lost or stolen, yes it will work when you put your ATT sim into it. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

No I have a iPhone 6s but it's still under contract and I don't have service anymore meaning my phone is off so the question I'm asking is it possible to put a SIM card into the phone to make it cheaper so I will be able to call and text with my iPhone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Yes the ATT sim will work unless the phone has been blacklisted. How is it possible for the phone to be under contract but not have service? Having service is what the contract is for. If you cancel service, you get charged a termination fee but that pays off the contract. However,if your service got cut off for non-payment, your phone may be blacklisted in which case a prepaid SIM card might not work. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just want to add to this that the SIM card needs to be on an active phone line, putting in any random SIM card found lying around that has not been activated will not make the phone work. Otherwise @sandblaster has pretty much covered it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.