Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
ffej_49's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 12:11 AM

Pre-paid SIM card in iPhone 5 - Travelling from Canada to US

I am taking my iPhone 5 from Canada to US for a week.  I have a pre-paid SIM card from AT&T that a friend loaned me.  He bought it while on a recent trip to Vegas  It has unlimited data/texts/local local calls for 30 days (approx 14 left).

I have a couple questions:

1. Has anyone used and found successful/not?
  2. What were the barriers, if any?
  3. The "unlimited local" calls:  Do they need to be in the state that the card was purchased (NV)?  I am travelling to CA, then TX and dont really need to make any calls, but just in case.
  4. I heard about an App named Fongo that works like internet calling for a land line, and uses Data.  Anyone used it?  I am currently in Canada and only seem to be able to download a Canadian version.  WIll that be different once I am in the US?
  5. Can I text to Canada via iMessage while in the US?  Assuming that won't rack up charges, but best to ask.

Those are the only questions I can think of.  There may be more, but in the meantime thank you for any input!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

10 years ago

yes adidaskid808 is right , you can use the unlimited as long as you're in the U.S with a ATT tower nearby.

Im just a little bit worried about your sim card that has an unlimited data/call/text

are you talking about the $35 monthly plan? If so the unlimited data cant be used on the Iphone. Wifi is the only option. The unlimited data for this plan is for non-smartphones only.

Yes you can send iMessages internationally providing you have the data connection. no extra charges

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

OK,I am not a iPhone person,but I think Android are kind of the same.
As long as you put the correct APN in , everything should work.
I am not sure unlimited local are only calls in Vegas.Because most AT&T package in US local call do mean all calls in USA. (You can call from LA to New york as a local call) Not like good old Canada local call mean where your number base in.Calgary number got local call in Calgary,even you call up to Red Deer,it is a long distance in Canada.
Texts on your package should be inc. free texts to Canada.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I bought a SIM card at JFK, everything unlimited (Android), plan is 60$ per month, I paid a total of 114 (more or less). I used it to access the Internet. Last I heard, my balance was zero (after 2 weeks of heavy use).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.