Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
UsedSIM's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, July 3rd, 2012 1:15 AM

Old Postpaid SIM to be used as Prepaid?

Hello,

I have an old postpaid SIM from iphone (ATT).  I have since upgrade to a Galaxy and received a new SIM (same phone #).

Can I use/activate the old SIM with a prepaid service?

I know I shouldn't use prepaid with iPhone, so I also have an old Cingular Razor (unlocked b/c off contract) that I intend to use with the old iphone SIM as prepaid for family member.

Can this be done?

Can it be done online (activation site) or must I go to a store?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

No - once you activated the new SIM with your Galaxy the old SIM associated with your phone number was deactivated by at&t.  Deactivated SIMs cannot be reactivated and used with a different phone number. 

If you want an additional prepaid account/phone number, you'll need to obtain a new SIM and set up a prepaid line of service.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@UsedSIM wrote:

Thanks for the response hme.

Next question..

ATT prepaid plan (on website) appears to require a purchase of a GoPhone device.  There isn't an option to purchase just the SIM.  I know you can buy the unactivated prepaid SIM from Amazon and Ebay, so does that mean ATT store will sell just the SIM and plan without the device?

You're welcome. 🙂

You shouldn't have any trouble obtaining a SIM at your local at&t corporate store, and AFAIK there won't be a charge for the SIM if you'll add airtime to the account while you are in the store.  Just let the store personnel know that you have an old Cingular/at&t phone that you intend to use for the prepaid account; and in fact I'd take the old Razr with you so that you can be certain the account is set up and working correctly before you leave the store.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Next question..

ATT prepaid plan (on website) appears to require a purchase of a GoPhone device.  There isn't an option to purchase just the SIM.  I know you can buy the unactivated prepaid SIM from Amazon and Ebay, so does that mean ATT store will sell just the SIM and plan without the device?

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

I guess so.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@UsedSIM wrote:

Next question..

It has been a while but I did buy just the SIM with some starup airtime right from a store.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.