Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
jfwp's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 5:55 PM

Old Cingular SIM & replacement GoPhone

I need to replace my wife's aging GoPhone.  The SIM is an old Cingular-branded SIM (that's how old it is!).  If I get a new AT&T GoPhone from Best Buy, will I be able to put the Cingular SIM in there and keep the phone number & balance?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@jfwp wrote:

@adidaskid808 wrote:

As far as I know,it will still work.
 I had been using Cingular SIM until mid 2012.
 But you better get it switch over to an AT&T SIM .

Thanks for the response, but I'm confused (not unusual for me).  If the Cingular SIM will work, why would I need to switch it?

You can continue to use the older Cingular SIM, but it may be a good idea to consider upgrading the SIM to one that is more current for best overall performance. Depending on which phone your wife may be upgrading to, it likely will support 3G technology or even 4G LTE as opposed to only 2G or EDGE.  Generally speaking, 3G is significantly faster than EDGE, but EDGE tends to be more reliable in low-coverage 3G areas. If you live in a generally reliable and well-covered area signal-wise, then I would strongly recommend upgrading your wife's SIM card as well as her phone. 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

@adidaskid808 wrote:

Thanks for the response, but I'm confused (not unusual for me).  If the Cingular SIM will work, why would I need to switch it?

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

The reason I change from a Cingular SIM to an offical AT&T 3G SIM in mid 2012 because of the better reception in MT State for my AT&T  LG P506 smart phone.
  Last year,2013, I changed my AT&T SIM card 3 times,because my phones are using Micro SIM,and they are easy to get lost Smiley Sad 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for that clarification!  I'm not particularly worried about speed.  She uses a very basic phone strictly for voice calls.  The old phone worked great, just getting old and worn and the battery isn't holding a charge like it used to. My plan is to buy a simple $10 Samsung flip phone GoPhone at Best Buy and that ought to hold her for another few years.

Thanks again.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@jfwp wrote:

Thanks for that clarification!  I'm not particularly worried about speed.  She uses a very basic phone strictly for voice calls.  The old phone worked great, just getting old and worn and the battery isn't holding a charge like it used to. My plan is to buy a simple $10 Samsung flip phone GoPhone at Best Buy and that ought to hold her for another few years.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a plan to me. 

You're welcome! 

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

OK, if jfwp upgrades the SIM (instead of just using the old Cingular SIM), how does jfwp keep his old phone number and account balance?

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

This need to be done at any Corp. AT&T store.
For AT&T is a very easy job, just switch the old SIM card numbers to the new SIM card.
Everything will be done in less than 2 mins.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

tengo un telefono motorola v551g y esta bloqueado por cingular como puedo obtener el codigo para poderlo usar con otro operador, por favor ayuda, gracias

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have a motorola phone v551g and is blocked by cingular as I can get the code so that it can be used with another operator, please help, thanks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.