Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
bgthigfist's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Friday, May 3rd, 2013 1:21 PM

Got a new phone but it won't recognize my go phone sim card

I have been an AT&T customer for about 13 years and a go phone customer for about 6.  Now that my 2nd go phone is starting to die (have had it since December 2010), I wanted to get a replacement that would support texting, which my kids do.  After doing some research, I bought an 'unlocked' AT&T phone through an outside provider.  The phone I chose is currently listed as an option to purchase directly through AT&T (Sharp FX Plus).  I had thought I could take my sim card ($25 a month option) from my current phone and slide it into the new handset, but when I try it, the new handset says 'no sim card.'

What can I do to get the new phone to recognize my sim card?  I really don't want a data plan.  I rarely talk on the phone, just want the physical keyboard for texting.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

I tried using both of my kid's go phone sim cards with no result.  I ended up driving to an AI&T store.  The guy there fiddled with the sim card, hit some numbers on the number pad and got it working.

So thumbs up for AT&T.  He said the card was hard to 'seat' but later on when I tried putting it back in the previous phone (to get my contact data), it wouldn't work in that one, but continues to work in the new phone, which I guess is what is important.

So I guess you can mark this one as 'solved' by AT&T staff. 🙂

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

That's something you can do. Put your kid's phone SIM card in your Sharp FX plus.

If the Sharp FX plus read your Kid's phone SIM card, you need a new SIM card from AT&T.

If the Sharp FX plus don't read any of those SIM cards, go back to your outside provide,and asking for a new phoneSmiley Frustrated The phone could be damage!!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

I second adidaskid808's suggestion. It may be time for a new SIM card.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Glad to hear it! 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.