Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
vtujfz's profile

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 8:04 AM

Extend my expiration?

I'm on the 10 cents/minute plan.

Last year I had over $100 balance but I was on the 90 day expiration.  So I called customer support and they were able to convert me to the 1 year expiration instead of having to pay $100.

Now, 1 year later, I have $94 balance.  Do you think they'd be able to let me pay just $15 or $25 to get the balance over $100 and extend my expiration for 1 year?

I rarely use my phone for calls so refilling my account with $100 would be a waste.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi vtujfz,

That would be a call to be made by customer care at that point. Usually you need to refill at least $100 on the phone to have it last for 1 year. The other cards you listed, the $15 is only good for 30 days and the $25 is good for 90 days. 

Hope this helps!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to add another $100 refill to your existing $94 balance in order to extend your expiration date for another year, resulting in a $194 balance total. 😐

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

10 years ago

I tried to do something similar last year but everyone on this forum said I couldn't do it.  But when I called customer support, they were able to convert my expiration to 1 year.  

So that's why I'm asking.    

I wonder if AT&T keep notes on my account.  If I called, would they know that I did something similar last year?  I don't want to call and embarrass myself.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@vtujfz wrote:

I tried to do something similar last year but everyone on this forum said I couldn't do it.  But when I called customer support, they were able to convert my expiration to 1 year.  

So that's why I'm asking.    

I wonder if AT&T keep notes on my account.  If I called, would they know that I did something similar last year?  I don't want to call and embarrass myself.

Something tells me that AT&T does not keep "notes" or other types of tabs on individual accounts, but if you call and tell the CSR that you were able to do something similar last year, I'm sure he or she would be willing to let you do it again. It's certainly worth a try! 🙂

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

10 years ago

I called and unfortunately, customer support didn't seem to understand my request.

I repeatedly asked whether I could add just $10 rather than $100 and extend my expiration.

It seem like he kept ignoring what I said.  It could be a language barrier.

I gave my credit card number thinking he was going to extend my expiration for 1 year but I ended up paying $10 and for the 30 expiration. Afterwards he said my expiration is next month.  I asked again about whether he can make an exception and extend it 1 year.  He then proceeded to tell me the expiration date for each reload amounts.

Last year experience with support was great.  Even though the customer service representive was outside the USA, he understood everything.  This year was differerent.

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

10 years ago

Now that my balance is over $100, I may call back and try what I did last year, which is to convert my expiration to 1 year.  Hopefully I didn't just spend an extra $10.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, I hope you didn't waste an extra $10, either. Your request is fairly simple to understand. Granting it may be a whole different ball of wax; however if it was able to be done last year, I don't see why it couldn't be done again. Go ahead and call back. Hopefully this time will be different. 🙂

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

10 years ago

Last year's situation was slightly different.  I had over $100 so they were able to convert me to a 1 year expiration.

This year I have slighly less than $100.  I was wanting to add $10 and extend the expiration.

Even if they couldn't do it, I'd would have preferred them tell me that they can't do it rather than proceeding to take my credit card number, charging me $10 and telling me my expiration is 1 month from now rather than 1 year.

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

10 years ago

So I called again and they said they are not able to do it.  😞

I know it's not much but it's $10 I just wasted.  On the first call I added $10, thinking he would extend the expiration by 1 year.  Because of his misunderstanding, it only extended it by one month.  

Now to extend 1 year I'll have to pay $107 (after tax) plus the $10 I already paid.  So I'll be paying a total of $117.70 instead of $107.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@vtujfz wrote:

So I called again and they said they are not able to do it.  😞

I know it's not much but it's $10 I just wasted.  On the first call I added $10, thinking he would extend the expiration by 1 year.  Because of his misunderstanding, it only extended it by one month.  

Now to extend 1 year I'll have to pay $107 (after tax) plus the $10 I already paid.  So I'll be paying a total of $117.70 instead of $107.

That really stinks... You'd think that if they were able to do it once, they'd be able to do it again. $100 is a lot of money (in my opinion) to add just to ensure a one-year account expiration date. Of course, you know what they probably think -- if they do it for one, they'll have to do it for all...

Hopefully you'll be able to get your money's worth out of your existing account balance. It may take a while to use it depending on how heavy your usage is (or if you're signed up for a monthly plan), but whatever you do, try your best not to let it expire! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.