Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 23, 2008
9:08:36 PM
Can i get a BlackJack II as a GoPhone?
If so will the media net work with it? I currently have T-Mobile and they let me get any pre-paid phone. I just wanted to know if it was the same for AT&T. Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy
If so will the media net work with it? I currently have T-Mobile and they let me get any pre-paid phone. I just wanted to know if it was the same for AT&T. Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 25, 2008 8:01:42 AM
(0)
Guru

MacFanBoy1995 wrote:
How much will i have to pay to go online? See your next sentence for the answer. I don't really get the 1kb/1cent thing. I thought that was for downloading only. How much does it take to go online and surf the web? When you go online and surf the web, you are downloading data to your phone. The pictures, the words, it's all downloaded.
Also without the data plan what won't i "really" be able to do? It's not that you won't be able to do things, but with the "pay-per-use" it's really expensive. Compare 1MB at $10+ or 5MB for $9.99... A lot of the "real tone" song ringtones are 400+ kb, making them over $4 on the pay-per-use option.   I know i can text and call but what more can a blackjack do other than surf the web? You can get email, surf the AT&T Mall and get wallpapers/ringtones. I think the MMS (picture messages) use the internet connection to send. Those are the data things. If you meant what things like games/programs, you can go to the Samsung section or the Blackjack website.

Responses in pink.
Sent from my mobile device, please excuse the spelling and brevity.
Accepted Solution

Can i get a BlackJack II as a GoPhone?

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2008 9:16:25 PM
(0)
Expert

MacFanBoy1995 wrote:

Yes you can use a BJ on a prepaid service, however for internet connection the BJ requires a PDA data plan, and unfortunately that is not available on prepaid services, so you will unfortunately be confined to the pay per use media net ($0.01 per KB used) that is by default on all prepaid services.

MacFanBoy1995 wrote:

Yes you can use a BJ on a prepaid service, however for internet connection the BJ requires a PDA data plan, and unfortunately that is not available on prepaid services, so you will unfortunately be confined to the pay per use media net ($0.01 per KB used) that is by default on all prepaid services.

Re: Can i get a BlackJack II as a GoPhone?

2 of 15 (1,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2008 8:51:07 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by coolchick200583 on Sep 24, 2008 at 8:52:13 AM
You can also buy media net packages for 1mb - 4.99 , 5mb - 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99 Incase you are interested text messages are 15cents send and recive or if you buy the packages 200 messages - 4.99, 1000 for 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99

Message Edited by coolchick200583 on 09-24-2008 11:52:13 AM
You can also buy media net packages for 1mb - 4.99 , 5mb - 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99 Incase you are interested text messages are 15cents send and recive or if you buy the packages 200 messages - 4.99, 1000 for 9.99 or unlimited for 19.99

Message Edited by coolchick200583 on 09-24-2008 11:52:13 AM

[ Edited ]
3 of 15 (1,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2008 9:11:27 AM
(0)
Expert

coolchick200583 wrote:

The BJ requires a PDA data plan, those plans are not available on prepaid services only on post paid services.

coolchick200583 wrote:

The BJ requires a PDA data plan, those plans are not available on prepaid services only on post paid services.

4 of 15 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2008 12:17:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

wilcre wrote:

Treo 750 also requires a PDA data plan, but only on postpaid as per AT&T's compatibility list it's compatible with MEdiaNet Unlimited on PYP. Since there are no official guidelines for compatibility with features on PAYG, if the phone works, it must be compatible.

wilcre wrote:

Treo 750 also requires a PDA data plan, but only on postpaid as per AT&T's compatibility list it's compatible with MEdiaNet Unlimited on PYP. Since there are no official guidelines for compatibility with features on PAYG, if the phone works, it must be compatible.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 15 (1,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2008 6:42:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
How much will i have to pay to go online? I don't really get the 1kb/1cent thing. I thought that was for downloading only. How much does it take to go online and surf the web?

Also without the data plan what won't i "really" be able to do? I know i can text and call but what more can a blackjack do other than surf the web?
How much will i have to pay to go online? I don't really get the 1kb/1cent thing. I thought that was for downloading only. How much does it take to go online and surf the web?

Also without the data plan what won't i "really" be able to do? I know i can text and call but what more can a blackjack do other than surf the web?

6 of 15 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 25, 2008 8:01:42 AM
(0)
Guru

MacFanBoy1995 wrote:
How much will i have to pay to go online? See your next sentence for the answer. I don't really get the 1kb/1cent thing. I thought that was for downloading only. How much does it take to go online and surf the web? When you go online and surf the web, you are downloading data to your phone. The pictures, the words, it's all downloaded.
Also without the data plan what won't i "really" be able to do? It's not that you won't be able to do things, but with the "pay-per-use" it's really expensive. Compare 1MB at $10+ or 5MB for $9.99... A lot of the "real tone" song ringtones are 400+ kb, making them over $4 on the pay-per-use option.   I know i can text and call but what more can a blackjack do other than surf the web? You can get email, surf the AT&T Mall and get wallpapers/ringtones. I think the MMS (picture messages) use the internet connection to send. Those are the data things. If you meant what things like games/programs, you can go to the Samsung section or the Blackjack website.

Responses in pink.

MacFanBoy1995 wrote:

Responses in pink.
Sent from my mobile device, please excuse the spelling and brevity.

7 of 15 (1,268 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2008 10:09:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
I have had the blackjack II briefly and I didn't need a data plan. I used media net and it worked perfectly. Since prepaid doesn't offer a data plan.
I have had the blackjack II briefly and I didn't need a data plan. I used media net and it worked perfectly. Since prepaid doesn't offer a data plan.

8 of 15 (1,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2008 2:31:07 AM
(0)
Mentor
Well, I see it's "solved", but I just wanted to add that I am a pay-as-you-go customer. I have the black jack II, and I use the pay-as-you go medianet package. Currently I have the 9.99 for 5MB package. It works beautifully. I even used it as a tethered modem for my computer (didn't do that long, tho...just a few page views and it zapped 2mb off my package....I don't have the unlimited medianet package yet and the IVR couldn't add it on for some reason...so I'll have to call customer care...my blackjack II was just delivered yesterday).

it does work, it'll do everything it'll do on a rate plan. packages are available. right now you can get unlimited medianet for 19.99...however they may take the 19.99 unlimited package away from us...so don't count on that package being there forever.
Well, I see it's "solved", but I just wanted to add that I am a pay-as-you-go customer. I have the black jack II, and I use the pay-as-you go medianet package. Currently I have the 9.99 for 5MB package. It works beautifully. I even used it as a tethered modem for my computer (didn't do that long, tho...just a few page views and it zapped 2mb off my package....I don't have the unlimited medianet package yet and the IVR couldn't add it on for some reason...so I'll have to call customer care...my blackjack II was just delivered yesterday).

it does work, it'll do everything it'll do on a rate plan. packages are available. right now you can get unlimited medianet for 19.99...however they may take the 19.99 unlimited package away from us...so don't count on that package being there forever.

9 of 15 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2008 8:23:08 AM
(0)
Expert

WebDunce wrote:

Unfortunately this is in violation of not only the forum guidelines but also the terms and conditions of service, the BJ requires a PDA package that you can only get on a post paid service, yes it may work, but that doesn't mean it is allowed to be used, also tethering is against the media net terms and conditions as well. also a moderator has been notified as well.

WebDunce wrote:

Unfortunately this is in violation of not only the forum guidelines but also the terms and conditions of service, the BJ requires a PDA package that you can only get on a post paid service, yes it may work, but that doesn't mean it is allowed to be used, also tethering is against the media net terms and conditions as well. also a moderator has been notified as well.

10 of 15 (1,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2008 8:34:17 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

WebDunce wrote:
I even used it as a tethered modem for my computer (didn't do that long, tho...just a few page views and it zapped 2mb off my package....it does work, it'll do everything it'll do on a rate plan.

Your suggestion here violates the Wireless Terms of your service, the GoPhone Terms of Service and the guidelines of this forum, so I would refrain, going forward, from posting such content. GoPhone devices should only be used with GoPhone plans and their functionality. AT&T doesn't offer any plans which support tethering while using a GoPhone. The forum has rules against promoting such actions. Rules which can result in the permanent removal of posting permissions.

Thank you.

WebDunce wrote:
I even used it as a tethered modem for my computer (didn't do that long, tho...just a few page views and it zapped 2mb off my package....it does work, it'll do everything it'll do on a rate plan.

Your suggestion here violates the Wireless Terms of your service, the GoPhone Terms of Service and the guidelines of this forum, so I would refrain, going forward, from posting such content. GoPhone devices should only be used with GoPhone plans and their functionality. AT&T doesn't offer any plans which support tethering while using a GoPhone. The forum has rules against promoting such actions. Rules which can result in the permanent removal of posting permissions.

Thank you.

11 of 15 (1,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2008 12:06:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Hey Wilcre and Sentry,

Sorry! I didn't realize that the tethering thing was against the T&C's. I bothered to click on the links Sentry provided and found the following information buried deep in the T&Cs:

Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

So, yeah, I guess the pay-as-you-go medianet packages should not be used for tethering. Cool. No problem. It was not my intention to promote actions that violate T&Cs.
Hey Wilcre and Sentry,

Sorry! I didn't realize that the tethering thing was against the T&C's. I bothered to click on the links Sentry provided and found the following information buried deep in the T&Cs:

Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

So, yeah, I guess the pay-as-you-go medianet packages should not be used for tethering. Cool. No problem. It was not my intention to promote actions that violate T&Cs.

12 of 15 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2008 12:43:53 PM
(0)
Mentor
Hi wilcre,

wilcre wrote:

...the BJ requires a PDA package that you can only get on a post paid service, yes it may work, but that doesn't mean it is allowed to be used...

Are you are saying that it is against T&Cs to use a PDA device with a non-PDA package? I must say that currently I don't believe AT&T has a problem with PAYG customers using PDA devices with PAYG data packages.

I glanced over the information Sentry linked to, and I didn't find anything in the T&Cs that disallowed using PDA devices with non-PDA data packages.  But the T&C's aren't the easiest read, so I may have missed it. Could you point me to the specific T&C clause or clauses that restrict PDA devices to PDA data plans?

Thanks.

Hi wilcre,

wilcre wrote:

...the BJ requires a PDA package that you can only get on a post paid service, yes it may work, but that doesn't mean it is allowed to be used...

Are you are saying that it is against T&Cs to use a PDA device with a non-PDA package? I must say that currently I don't believe AT&T has a problem with PAYG customers using PDA devices with PAYG data packages.

I glanced over the information Sentry linked to, and I didn't find anything in the T&Cs that disallowed using PDA devices with non-PDA data packages.  But the T&C's aren't the easiest read, so I may have missed it. Could you point me to the specific T&C clause or clauses that restrict PDA devices to PDA data plans?

Thanks.

13 of 15 (1,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2008 12:57:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

WebDunce wrote:
Hi wilcre,

Thanks.

I believe you're correct and the rule only applies to postpaid accounts, not prepaid. There's no official information on the subject for PAYG that I can find either, however I found that for PYP (also prepaid) it is OK to use MEdiaNet packages with Palm Treo 750, which is a PDA device, so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be the same on PAYG.

WebDunce wrote:
Hi wilcre,

Thanks.

I believe you're correct and the rule only applies to postpaid accounts, not prepaid. There's no official information on the subject for PAYG that I can find either, however I found that for PYP (also prepaid) it is OK to use MEdiaNet packages with Palm Treo 750, which is a PDA device, so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be the same on PAYG.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 15 (1,064 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2008 8:04:23 PM
(0)
Guru
To clarify this mess...

AT&T has, in the past, sold the Treo 750 on AT&T's Pick Your Plan option, as a refurbished phone. This was a limited-time offering.

AT&T has not clarified if they officially supported using MEdia Net on the Treo 750, but the online store did let you check out with those options intact.

As such, the most recent official statement from AT&T was that the Treo 750 could use MEdia Net packages, and as such... I don't see why any other smartphone cannot.

What is clear, is that AT&T has contradicted themselves in regards to PDA usage on prepaid, several times. However, there is no penalty for using MEdia Net with any compatible phone (per AT&T's bring-any-unlocked-phone initiative).

If AT&T doesn't like that, I would encourage them to deploy IMEI plan verification... it's their mess to fix at this point (for the reasons stated above).
To clarify this mess...

AT&T has, in the past, sold the Treo 750 on AT&T's Pick Your Plan option, as a refurbished phone. This was a limited-time offering.

AT&T has not clarified if they officially supported using MEdia Net on the Treo 750, but the online store did let you check out with those options intact.

As such, the most recent official statement from AT&T was that the Treo 750 could use MEdia Net packages, and as such... I don't see why any other smartphone cannot.

What is clear, is that AT&T has contradicted themselves in regards to PDA usage on prepaid, several times. However, there is no penalty for using MEdia Net with any compatible phone (per AT&T's bring-any-unlocked-phone initiative).

If AT&T doesn't like that, I would encourage them to deploy IMEI plan verification... it's their mess to fix at this point (for the reasons stated above).

15 of 15 (1,037 Views)