Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
MacFanBoy1995's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 24th, 2008 4:08 AM

Closed

Can i get a BlackJack II as a GoPhone?

If so will the media net work with it? I currently have T-Mobile and they let me get any pre-paid phone. I just wanted to know if it was the same for AT&T. Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

16 years ago

Hey Wilcre and Sentry,

Sorry! I didn't realize that the tethering thing was against the T&C's. I bothered to click on the links Sentry provided and found the following information buried deep in the T&Cs:

Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

So, yeah, I guess the pay-as-you-go medianet packages should not be used for tethering. Cool. No problem. It was not my intention to promote actions that violate T&Cs.

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

16 years ago

Hi wilcre,

@wilcre wrote:

...the BJ requires a PDA package that you can only get on a post paid service, yes it may work, but that doesn't mean it is allowed to be used...

Are you are saying that it is against T&Cs to use a PDA device with a non-PDA package? I must say that currently I don't believe AT&T has a problem with PAYG customers using PDA devices with PAYG data packages.

I glanced over the information Sentry linked to, and I didn't find anything in the T&Cs that disallowed using PDA devices with non-PDA data packages.  But the T&C's aren't the easiest read, so I may have missed it. Could you point me to the specific T&C clause or clauses that restrict PDA devices to PDA data plans?

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

16 years ago

@WebDunce wrote:
Hi wilcre,

Are you are saying that it is against T&Cs to use a PDA device with a non-PDA package? I must say that currently I don't believe AT&T has a problem with PAYG customers using PDA devices with PAYG data packages.

I glanced over the information Sentry linked to, and I didn't find anything in the T&Cs that disallowed using PDA devices with non-PDA data packages.  But the T&C's aren't the easiest read, so I may have missed it. Could you point me to the specific T&C clause or clauses that restrict PDA devices to PDA data plans?

Thanks.

I believe you're correct and the rule only applies to postpaid accounts, not prepaid. There's no official information on the subject for PAYG that I can find either, however I found that for PYP (also prepaid) it is OK to use MEdiaNet packages with Palm Treo 750, which is a PDA device, so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be the same on PAYG.

Guru

• 

60 Messages

16 years ago

To clarify this mess...

AT&T has, in the past, sold the Treo 750 on AT&T's Pick Your Plan option, as a refurbished phone. This was a limited-time offering.

AT&T has not clarified if they officially supported using MEdia Net on the Treo 750, but the online store did let you check out with those options intact.

As such, the most recent official statement from AT&T was that the Treo 750 could use MEdia Net packages, and as such... I don't see why any other smartphone cannot.

What is clear, is that AT&T has contradicted themselves in regards to PDA usage on prepaid, several times. However, there is no penalty for using MEdia Net with any compatible phone (per AT&T's bring-any-unlocked-phone initiative).

If AT&T doesn't like that, I would encourage them to deploy IMEI plan verification... it's their mess to fix at this point (for the reasons stated above).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.