Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
tdgenduso's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 5:06 AM

Can I Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

I currently use a blackberry 9700.  It is starting to go downhill and I want to get a new phone before it breaks and im stuck without a phone.  My upgrade isnt for another year, so I was wondering if I could take my post-paid SIM card from my blackberry and put it in a GoPhone (the LG Thrive specifically) and use it as a regular on-contract phone.  And if this is possible, would I see any change on my wireless bill (i curently have the least amount of minutes, unlimited text messaging, and the largest data plan [i believe it's 2GB]).  Thank you in advance for your help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you certainly can do this. 🙂 

You won't see any changes to your existing post paid plan.  Just be certain to activate the new phone with your post paid SIM - do not place the new SIM that comes with the prepaid phone in it for activation or you run the risk of the new phone being "locked" to that SIM, which would have to be rectified by customer service.  (I would just keep the new (unactivated) SIM on hand in case you need one in the future.)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you so much for your help!  I will be picking up my new phone later today!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@tdgenduso wrote:

Thank you so much for your help!  I will be picking up my new phone later today!

Enjoy your new phone! Android is great, that's for sure. It looks like you are all good to go.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@tdgenduso wrote:

Glad to help - enjoy the new phone! 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I would basically like to do the same thing, except I am currently using a feature phone with no data plan. If i buy an LG thrive and put my postpaid sim in it, will a data plan be forced upon me? Would I be able to only add a gophone data plan?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@psully85 wrote:

I would basically like to do the same thing, except I am currently using a feature phone with no data plan. If i buy an LG thrive and put my postpaid sim in it, will a data plan be forced upon me? Would I be able to only add a gophone data plan?

My bet would be that since at&t has clearly designated the Thrive to be a smartphone that if you use it on a post paid plan you will be required to carry one of the post paid smartphone data plans.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@hme83 wrote:

@psully85 wrote:

My bet would be that since at&t has clearly designated the Thrive to be a smartphone that if you use it on a post paid plan you will be required to carry one of the post paid smartphone data plans.

The postpaid version on the LG Thrive is called the LG Phoenix. The Thrive is a prepaid smartphone, while the Phoenix is another postpaid smartphone. I wonder if they differ at all technology wise - prepaid and postpaid? After all, they are pretty much the exact same phone...

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@hme83 wrote:

@psully85 wrote:

The postpaid version on the LG Thrive is called the LG Phoenix. The Thrive is a prepaid smartphone, while the Phoenix is another postpaid smartphone. I wonder if they differ at all technology wise - prepaid and postpaid? After all, they are pretty much the exact same phone...

One thing I would note is that per at&t's website documentation for the LG Thrive, it doesn't indicate it has WiFI ability, while the LG Phoenix does.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Hmm. That's interesting. Surely all Android phones must be Wi-Fi capable... If that should be the case, I would rather have the Phoenix over the Thrive, even though the Thrive is specific to prepaid GoPhone service.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
Hmm. That's interesting. Surely all Android phones must be Wi-Fi capable... If that should be the case, I would rather have the Phoenix over the Thrive, even though the Thrive is specific to prepaid GoPhone service.

It is common practice for at&t to remove features that are native to a generic product, whether it is through their firmware (removes access to the existing hardware) or by removing the hardware itself.  WiFi has been a common one, as have GPS and the secondary camera used for video calling.

And the other issue that comes to mind - although I don't know whether it is a "real" problem or just user error - but I've seen quite a few reports from post paid users who claim that they aren't able to use WiFi on their at&t branded device if they don't have a smartphone data plan.  So it would not surprise me if at&t were offering their first "smartphone" on prepaid service without WiFi ability in order to minimize the opportunity for users to purchase the prepaid model and use it with WiFi only.  (i.e.  If they are going to use data, at&t wants to steer them to go the post paid route where they require the user to have a data plan; but if a user truly wants to use a smartphone for it's other features and capabilities (non-data), at&t is giving them a way to do so without requiring a data plan. (?))

Hard to tell at this point. 🙂  As the main page for at&t GoPhones does indicate the Thrive has access to AT&T WiFi Hotspots - but the fact that WiFi/LAN isn't mentioned anywhere in the summary of features or detailed specs for the device makes me feel that may be an error on their main sales page. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.