Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
BiNaRs's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Friday, May 2nd, 2014 5:31 AM

AT&T international

Hello. If I buy Go Phone sim card, can I use it in the Russian Federation?

Thank you.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your answers. I figured if I'm choosing only text messages, the monthly fee will be $10?

is there any roaming tariffs but no monthly fee, ie cancellation will only messages?

PS. Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

@BiNaRs ,
 Hi, I am not that good for answer about Postpaid question.
But like I said early,you will need to go through Credit Check,US mailing address ,SS number before you can apply for Postpaid service with AT&T.
Much like having mobile phone service in Russian.
And you cannot have only text messages service on your phone.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dmapr ,
  Yes,I agree only 2 places you can do roaming with AT&T Gophone is a kind of ..............
But even you can do roaming for over 100+ countries ,the roaming fees and cost are expensive.

Go back to the Russian Sim cards, I do know  you can add money when you are in Russian.
This time I got a Russian Sim card for travel is someone told me it is cheaper for data roaming use in EU.
with a Russian Sim card.

Roaming in EU with any EU telecom will cost about 5 Euro for 50 MB.
But with the Russian Sim card,it only cost 5 ruble for unlimited 3G data for 24 hours.

I don't know this is true or not.But now I need to found out how to put money into that Russian sim card online before I go travel 😞

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

adidaskid808, you do not understand, buy sim card is not problem, I'm asking specifically about roaming and the cheapest rate...

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@adidaskid808 wrote:

@dmapr ,
  Yes,I agree only 2 places you can do roaming with AT&T Gophone is a kind of ..............
But even you can do roaming for over 100+ countries ,the roaming fees and cost are expensive.

Go back to the Russian Sim cards, I do know  you can add money when you are in Russian.
This time I got a Russian Sim card for travel is someone told me it is cheaper for data roaming use in EU.
with a Russian Sim card.

Roaming in EU with any EU telecom will cost about 5 Euro for 50 MB.
But with the Russian Sim card,it only cost 5 ruble for unlimited 3G data for 24 hours.

I don't know this is true or not.But now I need to found out how to put money into that Russian sim card online before I go travel 😞

I only know about MTS since I have an MTS SIM, but you don't get unlimited 3G. There are several different plans, ranging in quota and price depending on where you go, but once you've reached your daily quota (10-50MB on the cheapest plan) your speed is throttled down to 16Kbit/sec. You do have to add that option BTW, otherwise pay-per-use rates are quite expensive.

Let's face it, the cheapest way to get high speed data is always a national operator, never roaming. Incidentally, I hear T-Mobile now includes unlimited 2G data when roaming abroad — wonder if AT&T will follow suit?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

Perhaps you can describe your situation a bit more in-depth.

1. In which country do you use the phone the most?
  2. Which countries do you plan to visit for short periods of time?
  3. What type of usage are you looking for (SMS/voice/data) both where you live and on your trips? International/domestic and so on.

If we know all of that perhaps we can answer your questions better. We seem to be shooting in the dark right now.

@BiNaRs wrote:

adidaskid808, you do not understand, buy sim card is not problem, I'm asking specifically about roaming and the cheapest rate...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

In the next year - two I will use it only in Russian, and then plan to fly to the states (where exactly do not know yet). in Russia it is only necessary to send and receive messages. I do not want phone calls, voice mail and the Internet. Only text message in roaming. and it is desirable that the payment was not once a month, but only for incoming and outgoing SMS.

Thank you.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @ BiNaRs,
     From what your reply,AT&T Gophone prepaid service is no good for you.
  Because AT&T Gophone prepaid can only roaming in Canada & Mexico. NOT in  Russian .
    You will need AT&T Postpaid service.

Please see the following link and you might get some answer from Wild Banchi about AT&T postpaid service.
http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/prepaid-to-postpaid/td-p/3972580

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dmapr 
Good luck with T mobile USA :'(
They say UP TO 4G speed for the first 200MB.
I had nightmare from them before from 4G speed to 2G speed in less than 20 seconds and lost connection from 4:30pm to 6 pm daily.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@BiNaRs wrote:

In the next year - two I will use it only in Russian, and then plan to fly to the states (where exactly do not know yet). in Russia it is only necessary to send and receive messages. I do not want phone calls, voice mail and the Internet. Only text message in roaming. and it is desirable that the payment was not once a month, but only for incoming and outgoing SMS.

Thank you.

You should just get a Russian SIM card there. Prepaid plan like an MTS RED Energy will allow you to just pay for what you use — if you use for SMS only, you'll only pay for SMS. AT&T Mobile Share Value plan now includes free international SMS, including to Russia. Anything you get from AT&T will require a monthly payment.

Some operators in Russia may offer discounts on international SMS — look at the offers from Beeline and Megafon in addition to MTS.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.