Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
rcowen's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, September 17th, 2016 1:18 PM

90 minimum stay w/AT&T pre-paid phone after porting from land line?

I want to port my land-line (from my cable company) to Google Voice.  However it must first be ported to a wireless number because Google Voice only uses wireless numbers.  I thought I would buy a cheap pre-paid phone from AT&T, put the minimum number of minutes on it and port my land-line to it.  Two (approximate) days later I would port the (now) wireless number to Google Voice.  My local AT&T store (not a reseller) told me that AT&T would NOT permit me to port the number until I've been with them for 90 days unless I was returning to the original carrier.  They also did not stock the lowest price phone that is available on the AT&T web site ($17.99).  After I'm finished with everything, I plan to re-sell the phone on eBay.

Has anyone had similar experience or is the manager wrong about the 90 day minimum stay with them?  Can someone send a link to a page showing it to be true or untrue?  If it's true, any suggestions about other carriers who do not have "lock in" provisions for newly ported numbers?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

I'm suspecting it is not an ATT thing, it's a matter of time to unregister the number as a landline, so it can be ported to Google voice. 

Have you asked on the Google Voice forums?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.