Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
nottinmaterz's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 5th, 2012 7:20 AM

4G on prepaid?

I'm currently using 3G on a prepaid SIM account. If I buy an "unlocked" 4G phone can i put the SIM in and get 4G data when i buy packages in my pay as you go account?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

No. You will not be able to take advantage of "4G" or 4G LTE for prepaid service. I'm not even sure if those types of phones can fully operate on the new technology on a GoPhone plan.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Hi-I wanted to respond to let you know that they absolutely will not let you get 4G or 4G LTE on any prepaid device and or plan. I went round and round and argued with the store manager here in Cincinnati about this asking them why if I paid $65 for their smartphone plan with 1GB of data, that I couldn't get 4G service on my Blackberry. They wouldn't give me a straight answer, but I will because I know someone on the "inside". The sim card for all go phones has a chip in it that will not allow you to receive any 4G/4G LTE service, even if the phone is a 4G/4G LTE device. The most you can get is 3G service. It's absolutely ridiculous and is cheap on AT&T's part.. This is so they can force you to be in a contract, to pay full price for a phone and their high postpaid prices (over $65) just to get 4G/4G LTE service. It's a rip-off. I've tried this with my wife's phone too.

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

11 years ago

This was from yesterday: http://goo.gl/OEL4j

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Dcookie wrote:

I also just heard about this...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/24/atts-gophone-prepaid-service-gets-access-to-4g-lte-and-hspa/

Thanks for posting this, Dcookie! Wow, I had no idea that AT&T had finally decided to change their rules and restrictions as far as allowing 4G LTE devices to take advantage of 4G on prepaid plans. This is definitely a step in the right direction. 🙂

It almost makes me want to go out and buy a 4G LTE smartphone! Smiley LOL

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

@Dcookie wrote:

I also just heard about this...

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/24/atts-gophone-prepaid-service-gets-access-to-4g-lte-and-hspa/

Thanks for posting this, Dcookie! Wow, I had no idea that AT&T had finally decided to change their rules and restrictions as far as allowing 4G LTE devices to take advantage of 4G on prepaid plans. This is definitely a step in the right direction. 🙂

It almost makes me want to go out and buy a 4G LTE smartphone! Smiley LOL

No problem, WB...a little bird told me. 😉 Besides, why should prepaid plans be any different than postpaid??? 

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

Exactly! Improving the ability for GoPhone users to reach customer service should be next on AT&T's agenda. 😛

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:
Exactly! Improving the ability for GoPhone users to reach customer service should be next on AT&T's agenda. 😛

I agree to that!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

@Wild Banchi wrote:

800-331-0500 listen to the recording, enter the number you are calling about (if requested requested).  Diligently press zero until the auto-attendant gives up - 'she' will eventually transfer you to a human (many, many zeros - but it works - used it just last night).

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

11 years ago

@nigebj wrote:

@Wild Banchi wrote:

800-331-0500 listen to the recording, enter the number you are calling about (if requested requested).  Diligently press zero until the auto-attendant gives up - 'she' will eventually transfer you to a human (many, many zeros - but it works - used it just last night).

Yes, I'm aware. I actually suggest the same advice to people what seems like several times a week. 😛

It should be easier for prepaid customers to contact customer service, though. A direct phone number without having to press '0' or repeat "customer service" numerous times would be great! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.