Explore & discover

Helpful Links

WiFi calling on prepaid plan

Contributor

WiFi calling on prepaid plan

Dose Att prepaid plan have WiFi calling?

Message 1 of 42
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: WiFi calling on prepaid plan

@PsuFan513 wrote:
What if you go airplane mode, can you use wifi calling?

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered that and will give it try. Every other carrier gives you the option though. Should have seen it coming.

Message 31 of 42
Tutor

What about wifi calling on other devices? I was able to enable wifi calling today too (on iPhone X) but they blocked me from "enabling on other devices" so I can use it on my Apple Watch Smiley Mad

Message 32 of 42
ACE - Expert

@PsuFan513 wrote:
What if you go airplane mode, can you use wifi calling?

Yes, just turn WiFi back on.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 42
Tutor

You don't even need to turn wifi back on if you have already turned wifi on (and left it on) in airplane mode before!

Anyone tried or know anything about wifi calling on other devices?

Message 34 of 42
Mentor

It seems to have activated successfully today on my att prepay Samsung galaxy s7 active (smg891a).  Maybe VoLTE will soon work as well?   In Washington DC here, by the way. 

Message 35 of 42
Tutor

If you enabled wifi calling, you already have VoLTE. My LTE icon would turn 4G while on a call. Now that wifi calling was enabled in my area, it does not go 4G anymore. No carrier update required.
Message 36 of 42
Tutor

Hi all has anyone got it working in the NY/NJ area? 

Message 37 of 42
Mentor

Thank you nealsil, just confirmed VoLTE is working now that wifi calling is enabled (but turned off wifi for the test)    Much faster call connect times as well.    

Thank you to att for bringing this update to prepay (finally).    

Message 38 of 42
Tutor

RScarol are you in the NY area? Trying to determine if it will for me if I go back to prepaid. 

Message 39 of 42
Mentor

I am in Washington, DC.    Send me an Accela ticket I will test it out.   Probably cheaper to just get a free sim and activate a pay per use prepay account on a new number to try it out.   

Message 40 of 42
Tutor

LOL! Still have my prepaid sim..: maybe I can do something with that if I call ATT?

Message 41 of 42
Mentor

Reusing SIM cards is tricky.  Last thing you want is to port your number back to att prepay and find the sim is not going to work even if itooked like it should.  

But, good news is att has HD voice now listed as compatible with prepay.  Since HD voice requires VoLTE and that comes with WiFi calling anyways...   Seems it's legit and supported now. 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1046244

Message 42 of 42
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support