Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
cbradleynapa's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, May 6th, 2018 12:32 AM

Prepaid Plan Account Balance Carryover?

I am considering your prepaid plan that requires a $100 payment for 12 months of cell service.

If I don't use all the $100 in 12 months, is the remaining balance carried forward to the following year?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

561 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, any funds left over will carry over if as long as you add funds prior to the expiration date.  As you note above, the $100 gets you a year, between $25 up to $100 gets you 90 days and $10 up to $25 gets you 30 days extension of the expiration date.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

561 Messages

6 years ago

While I understand the frustration of having the money build up, on the flip side, even though you are not using the service, the company is providing you with an active line and a number.  My guess is you want to keep your number active so that is why you are continuing to deposit money into the account.  Think about it in the manner, how much would be a fair value for keeping the service active?  They are saying roughly $25 every 3 months or about $8.25 a month but they are willing to let you keep the balance to use whenever you want.  It does cost them money to provide you an active line and they do need to make some money.  I'm not saying it should be $8.25 a month but there is some cost. The question then boils down to this, Is it still worth that money to keep the line open and when will you be able to use up your balance?  Those are answers you have to determine.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for answering my question! You are correct. The problem is my account balance is $198 and I am expected to pay another $100 this month for another 12 months service. I am a low usage cell phone customer. Since Verizon won't give any existing balance credit towards any future payments, my account balance could grow to $500-$600 in a few years. And if I cancel, Verizon won't refund all or any part of my remaining balance. This is corporate stealing!

Verizon's policy should be no future payments are required when the account balance is $100 or more. I welcome any comment you may have. Thanks again.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@cbradleynapa

You are paying for AT&T to keep your account open.  Whether you use it or not is up to you.  

Verizon no longer offers a pay per use plan for new customers.

No carrier refunds or transfers.   All prepaid is ‘use it or lose it’. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you lizdance40! You clarified how AT&T and Verizon operate.

As I recall, I don't have any contract with Verizon, and it was never stated
that any prepaid balance cannot be applied for future use or be refunded.

If Verizon had made the "use it or lose it" clear in the beginning, I would
have made a different decision about cell service.

Your response was helpful - thank you!

P.S. I am a retired senior and I bought the cell service primarily for
emergency calls and "picking up friends at the airport."

I believe that Verizon and the others should offer a "life-line" plan for
seniors.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@cbradleynapa

Lifeline plans are available to welfare/SNAP eligible persons, and only from the carrier that covers your state.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.