Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T PREPAID 8GB Promo Plan - is it 8GB per year or per month?

Highlighted
Tutor

AT&T PREPAID 8GB Promo Plan - is it 8GB per year or per month?

Is the 8GB promo plan for $300/yr 8GB of data per YEAR (8GB total) or MONTH (96GB over 12 months)?

Message 1 of 17
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎09-10-2019 8:07 AM

Re: AT&T PREPAID 8GB Promo Plan - is it 8GB per year or per month?

Think about it.  🤨.  Who would pay $300 for 8 gigs for a year when $45 gets 8 gigs a month?  

https://www.att.com/prepaid/

16FB87C2-B763-4B2C-A426-55DFA659C287.jpeg

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 17
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎09-10-2019 8:07 AM

Re: AT

It's $300 for the entire year ($25/mo.). I want to confirm that I'm
actually getting 8GB/mo. at the reduced cost.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 17
ACE - Sage

Yes, of course.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by anonon
‎08-08-2019 6:06 AM

Yes, you get the 8GB plan which means a new 8GB of data every 30 days plus rollover. You are still getting a monthly (actually 30 day) plan, you are just pre-paying for 12 months.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 17
Scholar

Without reading the details, this isn't as bad a question as some think.  There are some MVNO plans where you can pay for a year for a limited amount of data.  I've seen 6GB plans (for the year) which, depending on usage, may be a better deal for someone who needs some, but not a lot, of data.  With 500mb/month, if you only use 100mb you wasted the remaining data which could have been used in a month you otherwise needed 2GB.

Message 6 of 17
Contributor

Can I move to this plan from an AT&T postpaid plan and keep my number? I'm hearing both. Might go to my local store tomorrow and ask. This would cut my bill in half. I'll update if I have anything new.

Message 7 of 17
ACE - Sage

@dmb219 wrote:

Can I move to this plan from an AT&T postpaid plan and keep my number? I'm hearing both. Might go to my local store tomorrow and ask. This would cut my bill in half. I'll update if I have anything new.

Yes, the move can only be made in an AT&T store.  You will have to pay off your phone if you owe installments.  You will trigger the 6 month lock, but it’s not like your going anywhere for a year 

Message 8 of 17
ACE - Expert

@dmb219 wrote:

I disagree with the above and I say no, you can’t. The $300 for a year is online only and moving a postpaid number to prepaid can not be done online. 

Message 9 of 17
Contributor

What will happen after the year? Can I prepay the $300 again and keep the same plan?

Message 10 of 17
ACE - Expert

@Perer123 wrote:

What will happen after the year? Can I prepay the $300 again and keep the same plan?

No. After 12 months you pay the normal $50 monthly rate, $40 if on autopay.

Message 11 of 17
Tutor

In theory.

I went into the store twice and spent ~6hr on the phone with postpaid, prepaid, and retention (some of that was actually with the in-store representative) and no one was able to switch my postpaid number to a prepaid number AND get the promotion. After being disconnected twice and not getting a call back I'm switching to Google Fi.

Customer for over 15 years gone because AT&T couldn't navigate their internal corporate structures to make something seemingly simple (changing plans within AT&T) happen.

Message 12 of 17
Contributor

I don’t see a plan even close We usE terabytes and are use to dsl My 4K tv will consume 8 gigs in 2 or 3 hours no even close unless their is something on the supreme hi end it won’t work but an afternoon sorry had to ask their is no hardline for almost half a mile away and I hate Satellites I hate CommercialsI haven’t watched tv ExceptPay Internet sources for 15 years not going to start now we need something ApproximatingWhat we have 

Message 13 of 17
Contributor

Does anyone know if you can use wi-fi calling with this plan? I am post-paid Sprint with wi-fi enabled.  I work in a metal building and the only way to use a cell phone without wi-fi calling is to go to a window to get a signal.  Also..what are the "premium services" they note that may be blocked? The local AT & T store associates have no information on these 2 questions. Thanks for any info.

Message 14 of 17
ACE - Sage

@jfarr669 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can use wi-fi calling with this plan? I am post-paid Sprint with wi-fi enabled.  I work in a metal building and the only way to use a cell phone without wi-fi calling is to go to a window to get a signal.  Also..what are the "premium services" they note that may be blocked? The local AT & T store associates have no information on these 2 questions. Thanks for any info.

Yes prepaid now allows Wifi calling, at least in the USA.  Not tested out of the US.  Wifi calling on At&t requires a compatible phone that means iPhone 6 or newer, or AT&T android or pixel 3/3xl

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support