Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Redtjs's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, May 27th, 2018 2:23 PM

Closed

Switching from contract to prepaid

Can I switch my contract phone that I still owe money on to a prepaid service and just pay my monthly installments for the phone 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

No. You can switch to prepaid but you will have to pay off the phone. There are no phone installment plans on prepaid.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Your phone will work fine on prepaid whether it is paid off or not. The problem is you can’t move your number to prepaid and still keep making payments on your phone. Once you move your number to prepaid, your postpaid account will be closed which means you must pay off the phone. If you want to get a new prepaid number, you can but you would still be paying for both your phone and your postpaid plan.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

So I can’t use my phone on the att prepaid until my phone is paid off?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

My issue is I’m on a plan but needing to cancel and just pay out of it. Trying to see if I can still use my phone while I’m paying the balance off under att prepaid service. Or is my phone blocked where it want accept a prepaid chip from att

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

6 years ago

I don't think that they will block your phone from use, but you will need to pay off the phone in full or they will turn the account over to collections and that may affect your credit rating.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Redtjs wrote:
So I can’t use my phone on the att prepaid until my phone is paid off?
My issue is I’m on a plan but needing to cancel and just pay out of it. Trying to see if I can still use my phone while I’m paying the balance off under att prepaid service. Or is my phone blocked where it want accept a prepaid chip from att

No blocking (although they have the right if you refuse to pay), it'll work right now if you pop out your SIM.

But as soon as you cancel your plan, the cost of the phone is due.  

Kinda like if you charged the phone on a credit card and you cancel the credit card, the money is due ASAP.

And I doubt they'll move your number over if you owe money...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject, and a great solution!

To discuss a new topic, please use the "Ask A Question" button above.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.