Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Switching from contract to prepaid

Tutor

Switching from contract to prepaid

Can I switch my contract phone that I still owe money on to a prepaid service and just pay my monthly installments for the phone 

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎05-29-2018 2:02 PM

Re: Switching from contract to prepaid

No. You can switch to prepaid but you will have to pay off the phone. There are no phone installment plans on prepaid.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
Tutor

So I can’t use my phone on the att prepaid until my phone is paid off?
Message 3 of 9
Tutor

My issue is I’m on a plan but needing to cancel and just pay out of it. Trying to see if I can still use my phone while I’m paying the balance off under att prepaid service. Or is my phone blocked where it want accept a prepaid chip from att

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

I don't think that they will block your phone from use, but you will need to pay off the phone in full or they will turn the account over to collections and that may affect your credit rating.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎05-27-2018 8:07 AM

Your phone will work fine on prepaid whether it is paid off or not. The problem is you can’t move your number to prepaid and still keep making payments on your phone. Once you move your number to prepaid, your postpaid account will be closed which means you must pay off the phone. If you want to get a new prepaid number, you can but you would still be paying for both your phone and your postpaid plan.

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@Redtjs wrote:
So I can’t use my phone on the att prepaid until my phone is paid off?
My issue is I’m on a plan but needing to cancel and just pay out of it. Trying to see if I can still use my phone while I’m paying the balance off under att prepaid service. Or is my phone blocked where it want accept a prepaid chip from att

No blocking (although they have the right if you refuse to pay), it'll work right now if you pop out your SIM.

But as soon as you cancel your plan, the cost of the phone is due.  

Kinda like if you charged the phone on a credit card and you cancel the credit card, the money is due ASAP.

And I doubt they'll move your number over if you owe money...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 7 of 9
Tutor

Thank you
Message 8 of 9
Community Manager

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject, and a great solution!

To discuss a new topic, please use the "Ask A Question" button above.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support