Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
oiwjrdfewre's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, August 3rd, 2018 5:38 PM

Need to know when phone number will expire. AT&T Customer Service is being useless. Can anyone help?

My account has been both prepaid and pay monthly (alternating between the two for years, because I have been in and out of the USA for years).  It's monthly at the moment but once this month runs out I will switch to pay as you go. This is because I am not in the USA right now and will not be until next summer sometime - a much longer absence than previously. All I am doing is trying to keep my phone number - I do not (in fact CAN not) use my phone when I am out of the country. I understand that at a certain point, but not on the exact date that my payment is due, my account "expires" - in other words, I lose my phone number.

As I said, I need to retain my number. I know (or think I know) that if I switch over to pay as you go, and put $100 credit on it, then that credit is good for, and the number is retained, for a year. However, I need to know the latest date by which I need to do this. In other words, when my pay monthly balance expires and I do not pay for the next month, how long before my phone number expires (I am not sure that this is the language that AT&T uses for this, but I cannot determine anything about it at all from their website or my login or from the community forums).  Do I have a month before I need to put a $100 pay as you go balance on it?  A week?  A day?  Half a year?

I have been trying to get someone in customer services, via Twitter, to simply tell me where I can find this information. I've been trying to get this information for a week now.  I've told them repeatedly that I cannot use chat because their site says that it's not available to customers on pay monthly or pay as you go (I'd have though they would know this). I cannot phone using my device, or use *777# because the device does not work here (again, I'd have thought they would know this).  I don't really want to "chat" anyway, can't see why it's necessary.  I'd love them (or someone) to just simply tell me where to find the information I need.... They have alternately said that they could help, referred me to chat or *777# (paying no attention to the fact that I have explained to them over and over that these are not options for me), told me how to login and look at my account info (I know how to do that already but the info I need is not apparent), and ignored me.  They just stop answering, basically, after saying "let me get back to you"... days went by last time they left me with this... silence, until I posted a public message on Twitter about it and they thought they'd better take it up again.    

Anyway, complaints about shoddy customer service aside, can anybody tell me how to find the info that I need?  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@oiwjrdfewre wrote:

My account has been both prepaid and pay monthly.

Pay monthly?   Do you mean postpaid (pay after use) ?

(alternating between the two for years, because I have been in and out of the USA for years).  It's monthly at the moment but once this month runs out I will switch to pay as you go. This is because I am not in the USA right now and will not be until next summer sometime

Neat trick.  Typically it’s not possible to manage prepaid outside the country.  

- a much longer absence than previously. All I am doing is trying to keep my phone number - I do not (in fact CAN not) use my phone when I am out of the country. I understand that at a certain point, but not on the exact date that my payment is due, my account "expires" - in other words, I lose my phone number.

As I said, I need to retain my number. I know (or think I know) that if I switch over to pay as you go, and put $100 credit on it, then that credit is good for, and the number is retained,

$100 is good for 365 days and can set to Auto refill for another 365.  

for a year. However, I need to know the latest date by which I need to do this.

You have to refill before your current plan expires.  You may not be able to login.  It should have been done the day you left.

In other words, when my pay monthly balance expires and I do not pay for the next month, how long before my phone number expires (I am not sure that this is the language that AT&T uses for this, but I cannot determine anything about it at all from their website or my login or from the community forums).  Do I have a month before I need to put a $100 pay as you go balance on it?  A week?  A day?  Half a year?

Once your balance is $0 your account has only 59 days to refill or it’s canceled.

I have been trying to get someone in customer services, via Twitter, to simply tell me where I can find this information. I've been trying to get this information for a week now. 

One stop...HERE.  Read section 4.  https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prepaidPlanTerms.html

I've told them repeatedly that I cannot use chat because their site says that it's not available to customers on pay monthly  monthly prepaid or pay as you go, (still prepaid )

(I'd have though they would know this). I cannot phone using my device, or use *777# because the device does not work here (again, I'd have thought they would know this).  I don't really want to "chat" anyway, can't see why it's necessary.  I'd love them (or someone) to just simply tell me where to find the information I need.... They have alternately said that they could help, referred me to chat or *777# (paying no attention to the fact that I have explained to them over and over that these are not options for me), told me how to login and look at my account info (I know how to do that already but the info I need is not apparent), and ignored me.  They just stop answering, basically, after saying "let me get back to you"... days went by last time they left me with this... silence, until I posted a public message on Twitter about it and they thought they'd better take it up again.    

Anyway, complaints about shoddy customer service aside, can anybody tell me how to find the info that I need?  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@oiwjrdfewre Just FYI, you don't have "both prepaid and pay monthly", you just have prepaid service. You switch between a monthly prepaid plan and "pay as you go" prepaid plan, but its all prepaid and the same expiration rules apply regardless of what prepaid plan you have.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

"One stop...HERE.  Read section 4.  https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prepaidPlanTerms.html"

Genius!  Thank you!  Now why could they not have referred me to this a week ago when I first asked them!?  Thank you very much for taking the time to send this info.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

I talk to ATT employees who have no idea the forum exists, but they should know how to find the prepaid plan information 🙄

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.