Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Kristib's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, August 26th, 2018 7:26 PM

Can you temporarily change your prepaid phone number?

Trying to throw off my ex so he can't call or send me a 1,000 texts. I realize I can block him, but unfortunately after 2 & a 1/2 years I still love him & find myself unblocking him so I can see what he's messaged. I don't have enough willpower not too. So I was wondering if I can change my number temporarily for a couple weeks & then go back to my normal number so I don't have the headache that goes along with changing your phone number & having to call everyone from family to coworkers, businesses, doctors, kids school, etc. Please advise if this is possible. I thought about just doing a text now number & putting that my phone was lost so service would be temporarily  suspended but then I won't have service unless I'm in Wi-Fi range & I can't handle that.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

No, a temporary change is not possible. If you change, there is no guarantee you could get your old number back. What you can do is just get another SIM card with a different number and just use that temporarily.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Kristib The way would be to get a new line and use that, but I think you'd be tempted to still check/move the SIM back. Even if I'm mistaken, and you can do it, it seems you'd still be tempted to activate it sooner than later.

The best way is a PPO (Personal Protection Order).

There IS something wrong if they are sending you 1,000 texts with no replies. Nip it in the bud before it escalates...

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Kristib

You could try sending back a text that says something like 

"Code 9684: Calls from sender to this number are being blocked. "

Send it promptly back to the next dozen texts that come (every text, worded exactly the same) and see if they might give up.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you and you're right I would switch it over same as unblocking so I can read messages. I actually file for an ex parte and it got approved on Friday but they're not going to serve him until tomorrow and I have lost count of all the messages on my phone just since Friday

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

That's funny because I've actually done that before. Only problem with that is if I walk away from my phone 20 minutes later and he sends a text he would figure it out when he doesn't get a text back for 5 minutes. LOL

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Kristib wrote:

Thank you and you're right I would switch it over same as unblocking so I can read messages. I actually file for an ex parte and it got approved on Friday but they're not going to serve him until tomorrow and I have lost count of all the messages on my phone just since Friday

Now here are some things to keep in mind:

• The might not serve him tomorrow, he might dodge them or they might miss him, so make sure you confirm this.
  • You will want to keep a copy of the paperwork that shows he was served on you at all times (so if you need to report him, you have the paperwork).
    I had a friend and the judge served their ex in the courtroom BUT the paperwork never got filed properly stating they were served, the first time she had to call the police, they had no record he was served. The police served him at that time, but that's all they could do (which was interesting since he was spying on her from the bushes with a video camera).
  • If he contacts you at all (text, phone, e-mail, showing up, through friends/third parties, etc.), you need to report him EVERY time (make sure you know how), if it's in person, I'd think that'd be calling 911.
    That's assuming whatever your filed specifies no contact in those manners.
  • If it's like a PPO, then you can't respond to them or communicate with them (even in response) or it might muck it up.
    You need to NOT respond. 

Good luck!

(I'm not a lawyer, nor do a play one on television, but that's the basics of what I recall from when I volunteered at the shelter.

And also what I learned from my friend's problem.)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.