Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T sim card was not able to register in mobile network, prepaid

AT&T sim card was not able to register in mobile network, prepaid

Purchased a new SIM from store. Before buying it, AT&T store guy assured that prepaid SIM will work for the given IMEI. He checked the compatibility. But after payment, when cell phone powered up with the new SIM, AT&T sim card is not able to register in mobile network, prepaid.

Then store guy suggested to buy the new cell phone from the store. It seems, i am trapped with the selling strategy and feeling cheated.

This SIM is of no use for me and want my money back.

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T sim card was not able to register in mobile network, prepaid

@pankaj5644 - is this a question specific to the MicroCell? If it is, the MicroCell requires a post paid plan to register/activate it.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13

Re: AT

No this about the prepaid sim card
Message 3 of 13
ACE - Sage

So one of 2 possibilities.  

1.   You brought a phone that is compatible, but locked to another carrier.  Where did it come from?  (What phone is this?)

2.  The SIM card is not active.  It should have been tried in a store phone to make sure it’s working.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 - thanks. I’ll pass this one along to your area of expertise.

Message 5 of 13

Phone is from India. Store guy has checked the compatibility through IMEI
number and assured me 3g n/w will be supported.
Message 6 of 13
ACE - Sage

@pankaj5644

Make and model of phone? 

Many phones made for India will not work.   Even if it will, it needs to be reprogrammed and may never work on better than HSPA. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 - thanks again. I was thinking the same thing.

Message 8 of 13

It's Moto g 3rd generation. Bought in early 2016.

Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

Are you saying the SIM card did not work at all as in no service or did you get service, you just could not get data to work? When they check compatibility, I believe they are only verifying whether it will work on the voice network.

Message 10 of 13

Sim did not work at all. No signal are being received.
Message 11 of 13
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎07-22-2018 6:10 AM

Which exact model?   

Some models only have HSPA band 850.  Without both 850 AND 1900 the phone may Not get 3G, some of the time, all the time or none of the time.  It all depends on hardware. 

If you have the dual sim model, move the sim to the other slot.  

One sim slot is 2g only and ATT has no 2g network. 

If that fails, You can pick up a cheap prepaid phone from Best Buy’s unlocked phone area.  ATT phones are locked, so I do not recommend buying one if you aren’t in the US for a long time.  

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 13

Purchased Moto g6 unlocked phone and used the Sim card.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support