For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
umcpgrad's profile

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

Saturday, November 17th, 2012 4:51 PM

is this true about upgrade?

I was reading through the upgrade process that - after 5 days - once I receive the upgraded device - my old phone will be disconnected and service will be activated to the new sim card and new phone? is that true?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, you activate the new phone and SIM, then you take the new SIM and put it in your old phone and it will work. Then the new phone will work with any other ATT SIM even if it isn't your account.
You have to be careful about SIM sizes though, the new phones come with a smaller SIM. Sometimes you can put a small SIM in an old phone with an adaptor, or a large SIM in a newer phone by cutting it, but you might just need a new SIM if the sizes don't match.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@umcpgrad wrote:

I was reading through the upgrade process that - after 5 days - once I receive the upgraded device - my old phone will be disconnected and service will be activated to the new sim card and new phone? is that true?

Once you activate the new phone, the old phone is discounnected, there is no delay in that

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

11 years ago

thanks

what about keeping the old phone and plan and gifting the new phone to a relative instead?

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

Yes you can give the old phone to anyone you wish to with no problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@umcpgrad wrote:

thanks

what about keeping the old phone and plan and gifting the new phone to a relative instead?

Yes, you can do that but you must activate the new phone and SIM card. Once activated, just put the new sim in your old phone and then you can do what you want with the new phone. Remember, you will be obligated for the 2 year contract and you won't be eligible to upgrade again for 18-20 months. 

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

11 years ago

thanks all

so I have to activate the phone and the new sim? I think different phones take different type of sims

I can't just keep the old sim and my old phone?

thanks in advance

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

Yes there are different sims for different phones depending on the phone('s) in question, what are the make and model of phones you have and are getting and a more precise answer can be given.

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

11 years ago

have an iphone 4 now

want to upgrade to sg3 or note 2 to give it to family

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

if you get the sg3 you will get and have to use the new sim card, if you get the note 2 you can use the same sim card. either way a new simcard comes with the phone, but with the Note 2 you would have the new one as a spare.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

wilcre, I don't understand your comment. The Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note II come with the same type of SIM card and all three of the phones use the same size SIM cards. Since umcpgrad wants to use the iPhone 4, it won't matter that he has an LTE SIM card, it will still work.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.