is this true about upgrade?

Scholar

is this true about upgrade?

I was reading through the upgrade process that - after 5 days - once I receive the upgraded device - my old phone will be disconnected and service will be activated to the new sim card and new phone? is that true?

Message 1 of 14 (2,980 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: is this true about upgrade?

umcpgrad wrote:

I was reading through the upgrade process that - after 5 days - once I receive the upgraded device - my old phone will be disconnected and service will be activated to the new sim card and new phone? is that true?

Once you activate the new phone, the old phone is discounnected, there is no delay in that

Message 2 of 14 (2,968 Views)
Scholar

thanks

what about keeping the old phone and plan and gifting the new phone to a relative instead?

Message 3 of 14 (2,960 Views)
Expert

Yes you can give the old phone to anyone you wish to with no problem.
Message 4 of 14 (2,949 Views)
ACE - Master

umcpgrad wrote:

thanks

what about keeping the old phone and plan and gifting the new phone to a relative instead?

Yes, you can do that but you must activate the new phone and SIM card. Once activated, just put the new sim in your old phone and then you can do what you want with the new phone. Remember, you will be obligated for the 2 year contract and you won't be eligible to upgrade again for 18-20 months. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 14 (2,924 Views)
Scholar

thanks all

so I have to activate the phone and the new sim? I think different phones take different type of sims

I can't just keep the old sim and my old phone?

thanks in advance

Message 6 of 14 (2,912 Views)
Expert

Yes there are different sims for different phones depending on the phone('s) in question, what are the make and model of phones you have and are getting and a more precise answer can be given.
Message 7 of 14 (2,869 Views)
Scholar

have an iphone 4 now

want to upgrade to sg3 or note 2 to give it to family

Message 8 of 14 (2,785 Views)
Expert

if you get the sg3 you will get and have to use the new sim card, if you get the note 2 you can use the same sim card. either way a new simcard comes with the phone, but with the Note 2 you would have the new one as a spare.
Message 9 of 14 (2,738 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ATTJulieCS (Community Support)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Yes, you activate the new phone and SIM, then you take the new SIM and put it in your old phone and it will work. Then the new phone will work with any other ATT SIM even if it isn't your account.
You have to be careful about SIM sizes though, the new phones come with a smaller SIM. Sometimes you can put a small SIM in an old phone with an adaptor, or a large SIM in a newer phone by cutting it, but you might just need a new SIM if the sizes don't match.
Message 10 of 14 (2,700 Views)
Professor

wilcre, I don't understand your comment. The Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note II come with the same type of SIM card and all three of the phones use the same size SIM cards. Since umcpgrad wants to use the iPhone 4, it won't matter that he has an LTE SIM card, it will still work.
Message 11 of 14 (2,555 Views)
Expert

Sorry for the error, the info I posted was referenced from gsmarena.com ***Wilcre goes and stands in the corner***
Message 12 of 14 (2,526 Views)

You can come out now. Happy Thanksgiving!
Message 13 of 14 (2,492 Views)
Professor

Yes, I definitely didn't want to put wilcre in timeout!
Message 14 of 14 (2,488 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.