Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Sep 27, 2012
11:47:21 PM
View profile
early phone upgrade

my 2 years contract ends on 11/09/2012, are there anyway i can get an early upgrade, my iphone 4 just broke and i really need a phone. 
help?

my 2 years contract ends on 11/09/2012, are there anyway i can get an early upgrade, my iphone 4 just broke and i really need a phone. 
help?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 29, 2012 11:07:02 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by beckyww on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:44:21 AM

An early upgrade is from 6 months to 19 months into your contract (when you pay extra on top of the upgrade price). Once you reach 20 months, you no longer have to pay the extra amount, it's just a regular upgrade, so you won't have to pay the extra 250 once you reach the 20th month, which you already have. 

You can upgrade to any device every 20 months. As long as you haven't had any non pay suspensions.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/upgrade-advantage.html#fbid=arS0lisB8MG

Accepted Solution

early phone upgrade

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2012 11:58:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Yes, indeed! If you have completed at least 20 months of the 24 of your contract term, you do qualify for an early upgrade. Remember, when you use an early upgrade, you need to add the discounted price of the phone + $250! Smiley Wink
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Yes, indeed! If you have completed at least 20 months of the 24 of your contract term, you do qualify for an early upgrade. Remember, when you use an early upgrade, you need to add the discounted price of the phone + $250! Smiley Wink
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: early phone upgrade

2 of 7 (49,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 12:58:50 AM
(0)
Expert

Check equipment upgrade eligibility

1. Dial *639# (*NEW#) from your wireless phone.
  2. Press the Send key. You will then be provided with an upgrade eligibility message and the reason associated with the eligibility message.

Most likely barring any late payments or involuntary suspensions you should qualify for a upgrade, you have 43 days till your upgrade date. but doing the above will confirm that scenerio for you.

Check equipment upgrade eligibility

1. Dial *639# (*NEW#) from your wireless phone.
  2. Press the Send key. You will then be provided with an upgrade eligibility message and the reason associated with the eligibility message.

Most likely barring any late payments or involuntary suspensions you should qualify for a upgrade, you have 43 days till your upgrade date. but doing the above will confirm that scenerio for you.

3 of 7 (49,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 12:10:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

if i have to add $250 for an early upgrade? then whats the point? 
i just have 42 days left but i wanted to upgrade for an iphone 5 with $199. 

4 of 7 (49,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 12:23:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Well, with the early upgrade option, you would still save about $200 since the no commitment price of the iPhone 5 is about $649. However, if you only have 6 weeks left in your contract, I would wait it out if you want to buy the device for $199 with the full upgrade. Smiley Wink
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Well, with the early upgrade option, you would still save about $200 since the no commitment price of the iPhone 5 is about $649. However, if you only have 6 weeks left in your contract, I would wait it out if you want to buy the device for $199 with the full upgrade. Smiley Wink
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (49,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 4:24:32 AM
(0)
Expert

hungn58 wrote:

then you have to wait till 11/1 - they have not move the upgrade for a iphone up, you either have the patience to wait till your date rolls around or pay the contract upgrade penalty. By november they may actually have phones in stock that you can walk out with.

hungn58 wrote:

then you have to wait till 11/1 - they have not move the upgrade for a iphone up, you either have the patience to wait till your date rolls around or pay the contract upgrade penalty. By november they may actually have phones in stock that you can walk out with.

6 of 7 (49,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 29, 2012 11:07:02 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by beckyww on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:44:21 AM

An early upgrade is from 6 months to 19 months into your contract (when you pay extra on top of the upgrade price). Once you reach 20 months, you no longer have to pay the extra amount, it's just a regular upgrade, so you won't have to pay the extra 250 once you reach the 20th month, which you already have. 

You can upgrade to any device every 20 months. As long as you haven't had any non pay suspensions.

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (49,513 Views)
Solution
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments