For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
skittlesthecat's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, October 1st, 2012 3:16 AM

Would like to add a new contract but only see no commitment pricing when trying to upgrade?

Hi all,

Perhaps this is a lame question but here goes:

I am an existing, long-time customer of ATT on a family plan without a contract.  There are several mobile phones on the plan, some of them are very old.  I would like to upgrade one phone from a non-smart to a smartphone.

When trying to upgrade the phone through the website to see the available options, I only see exclusively the "no commitment" pricing for all phones.  In other words, an iphone 5 is $649+ dollars, the $199 price is no where to be seen unless I log back out.  No 1 year or 2 year contract bundles/packages/phones are shown at alll. 

Other avenues to see what my upgrade status might be result in weird errors:

o  Texting to *639# gives an error message "We're sorry. Requested information is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

o   https://www.att.com/phoneupgrade/ results in an error message "IU0021: The wireless number you're trying to upgrade is associated with a corporate account"

o   Apple.com's website upgrade link gives an error message, "Account type not supported."

Am I simply not eligible for the subsidized pricing on a new phone (ie $.99 for iphone 4 / $199 for iphone 5) despite having no existing contracts with ATT?  Is there a way to start a new contract to get the lower, subsidized price?  Obviously, chat isn't an option as there are never any reps available since the new iphone was released.  I'd prefer not to set foot in an ATT corporate store but I suppose I would do so if required.

Thanks for any responses and sorry if this question has already been answered.

- skittles

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

63 Messages

12 years ago

Not sure why you are having difficutly but I suspect it is due to the apparent Corporate account message. I would suggest going in to an AT&T Corporate store and let a rep pull it up in the computer for you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks richfray.

Went into the store today -- no issues getting the subsidized price. The rep said the issue stemmed from having a small business account.

Former Employee

• 

63 Messages

12 years ago

glad you got it sorted out!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.