For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
jmeray's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Monday, September 15th, 2014 1:15 PM

Will NEXT accept a trade-in if it was replaced by 3rd party insurance?

Ok... so i'm thinking about which insurance i plan to purchase for my iphone 6+.  I've always loved Squaretrade for every other device i own, but i've been using applecare for my last couple of iphones. The "NEXT" plan got me thinking, because of the trade-in that you can do at 12mo or 18mo (depending on your plan choice).  If i go with applecare or Squaretrade (and not the AT&T Warranty monthly plan), and lets say 6 months down the road the phone falls into a pond. Squaretrade or applecare can't "fix" it, so they in essence get me a new phone.  That new phone will replace the previous hardware, and AT&T will have to update the IMEI/SIM/etc so that the new phone will work on your service & put your old phone # on it.  However, when the 12mo or 18mo comes, and you want to trade that phone in for an upgrade,.... will AT&T NEXT accept that phone for trade-in???

I would love to hear from the AT&T GURU's out there, as the time is growing closer to receiving our new devices! Thanks!

Mentor

• 

81 Messages

10 years ago

Found this on the AT&T Next FAQ section of the website:

"What if the smartphone isn't in good working condition when it's time to trade it in at 12 or 18 months?

If you have Mobile Insurance, you may file a claim and pay the deductible for a replacement smartphone, then use your replacement smartphone as your AT&T Next trade-in. Or, you may choose to just keep your smartphone and complete all installment payments. Once all payments have been made, you can upgrade to a new smartphone with a new AT&T Next installment plan or a 2-year service agreement."

So if they will allow an insurance replacement from the AT&T Mobile Insurance as an AT&T Next Trade-In, then I don't see why they wouldn't accept a phone that was replaced through another insurance provider as a trade-in. As long as the phone is in "good working condition" as it states on the website and it's the same exact color, model, etc. AND you call AT&T or go to the store to make sure they update the IMEI on your account, you shouldn't have any problems. 😃

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

I agree with you... "should", however, i just have not been able to locate anything on a website that specifically says "3rd party insured replacement phones, that are the same model, color, yada yada, in good working condition, etc, will be accepted as trade-in at your 12mo or 18mo trade-in date".  I'd love to see it say that somewhere, just so that i feel 100% confident in purchasing my insurance via a 3rd party insurer.  But thanks for that info, it does give me a "better" feeling about it, but not yet a 100% better feeling. 🙂

Mentor

• 

81 Messages

10 years ago

Lol. No problem. I mean, lets be honest, AT&T can be a bit "strict" on certain things, but I don't think they would care or even question the fact that you are trading in a phone that didn't have the same IMEI that the original phone you purchased had. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Note I checked with AT&T on this. If you go with AT&T Next and use a 3rd party warranty or insurance provider OTHER than Asurion, if you break your phone or need to make a claim to the 3rd party warranty provider, AT&T will NOT accept the new phone you get as an acceptable trade-in when it comes time to upgrade!! So in my opinion, it makes no sense to use AT&T Next other than the 30 month option, because by the time your 2 year warranty expires, you can upgrade anyway.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@adamshort wrote:

Note I checked with AT&T on this. If you go with AT&T Next and use a 3rd party warranty or insurance provider OTHER than Asurion, if you break your phone or need to make a claim to the 3rd party warranty provider, AT&T will NOT accept the new phone you get as an acceptable trade-in when it comes time to upgrade!! So in my opinion, it makes no sense to use AT&T Next other than the 30 month option, because by the time your 2 year warranty expires, you can upgrade anyway.

I'm not quite sure where you got your information, but 4 out or 4 AT&T reps I've spoken with about NEXT trade-in phones have all told me that as long as the phone I'm trading in is the sme model, storage capacity, AT&T network compatibile & is in goodworking order, it is acceptable for the trade-in on AT&T NEXT.  Specifically, they said that if Apple replaces a phone under warranty, then the replacement phone would be considered the same as the original phone, so it could be used for the trade-in.  Perhaps the AT&T person who gave you that response thought you were trying to trade in a broken phone for a NEXT upgrade, not a like new replacement for a broken phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Sounds as if it will be OK. On AT&T's site https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/returnpolicy.html under the "AT&T Next Trade-In" tab, it says that tradeins must meet these criteria:

1. The smartphone is the same make and model as your original smartphone.
  2. It is in good physical and fully functional condition, which means:
  • It must power on and off.
  • The screen must be intact, free of any chips, and function properly.
  • The device must be free of breaks or cracks.
  • The battery must be included.
  • The Activation Lock must be disabled (apps like Find My iPhone lock the phone and need to be disabled).
  1. The phone has been reset, and does not any type of lock disabling it (such as Find my iPhone).
  2. The phone has not been reported as lost or stolen (for example, blacklisted).
  3. We need to receive your trade-in within 44 days (for customers or Individual Responsibility Users, or 75 days for Corporate Responsibility Users).

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@jmeray Here's the thing, your iPhone is (almost always) worth more than AT&T is going to pay you (the last 6-8 payments). I think Gazelle.com will generally give you more (and that's pretty effortless) and you could probably do even better at eBay too.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.