Trade In and Get Rewarded!
nano57's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 18th, 2014 1:11 AM

Why is it so much to upgrade?

I had no idea that when I finally upgraded after 5 years that I would be charged 25.00 per month more if I didn't pay over 600 for a phone.  I thought there was something about loyalty and I was so pleased that my phone bill had become managable.  I was really touting the ATT stuff until this happened.  I had been nursing my I PHONE 4 along until I could get a 6 and now it goes from 15 /mo  to 40.00 just because I wont' spend 32.50 per month for the phone and i bought it at 200.  Wow, I am wondering how much it will be to buy out my contract  I have been a customer for years but now I am questioning this entire situation.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

10 years ago

@nano57 wrote:

I had no idea that when I finally upgraded after 5 years that I would be charged 25.00 per month more if I didn't pay over 600 for a phone.  I thought there was something about loyalty and I was so pleased that my phone bill had become managable.  I was really touting the ATT stuff until this happened.  I had been nursing my I PHONE 4 along until I could get a 6 and now it goes from 15 /mo  to 40.00 just because I wont' spend 32.50 per month for the phone and i bought it at 200.  Wow, I am wondering how much it will be to buy out my contract  I have been a customer for years but now I am questioning this entire situation.

It sounds like the prices you are quoting are for the NEXT program, which is one option, but not the only option.  AT&T still offer the standard full discount with a 2-year contract.  If your contract on the 4 expired years ago and haven't used an upgrade, you should be able get the smallest 6 for $200.  AT&T is really pushing NEXT, but you can still go old school.  Check your options online at AT&T or Apple, or at an AT&T corporate store.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

It's your choice. Pay full price for the phone and get a discount for service or pay full price for service and get a discount for the phone. You should do the math for your specific situation but if you are currently getting the $25 discount, then paying full price for the phone will probably save you about $200 over 2 years.

For buying out your contract to leave, it is about $350 - ($10 * the number of full months of your contract completed). When the contract is completed, the ETF is $0.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

GeekBoy is right.  I don't think you've done the math.  We all used to get subsidized phones and our bills were higher to pay for the phone with service plans.  Now, ALL the carriers are offering a newer and in my opinion, better way to get an iPhone, which is to pay the real price for the phone, but have reduced service costs.  When I did the numbers, I realized I would actually, over time, pay less than I had been paying.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.