For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
huhuhu's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, August 18th, 2014 7:43 PM

Weeping about ATT customer service

Today, at Radio Shack, I was talked into upgrading my phone. I realized a few minutes later that I was on the ATT "next" plan, that this would cost me ultimately 600$ or so over two years, so I decided to cancel it again, going back into the store about an hour later. The representatives here have been now calling ATT for more than an hour total for the simple request of canceling the upgrade request and get me back where I was this morning, before all this started. The representatives get pushed from one ATT representative to the next, repeating the same simple story over and over again. I can't do anything else but stand there, waiting, watching valuable time tick by and weep, weep, weep about this dismally poor ATT service. I mean: this shouldn't take more than three mouse clicks, right? I am confused, irritated, and feel treated like a piece of s... by all that rather than a valuable customer.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@huhuhu wrote:
Today, at Radio Shack, I was talked into upgrading my phone. I realized a few minutes later that I was on the ATT "next" plan, that this would cost me ultimately 600$ or so over two years, so I decided to cancel it again, going back into the store about an hour later. The representatives here have been now calling ATT for more than an hour total for the simple request of canceling the upgrade request and get me back where I was this morning, before all this started. The representatives get pushed from one ATT representative to the next, repeating the same simple story over and over again. I can't do anything else but stand there, waiting, watching valuable time tick by and weep, weep, weep about this dismally poor ATT service. I mean: this shouldn't take more than three mouse clicks, right? I am confused, irritated, and feel treated like a piece of s... by all that rather than a valuable customer.

Well,  I hope that cancelling a purchase agreement would take a little more than 3 mouse clicks.  In addition, they have to roll back the upgrade status, they have to refund any charges which were made, they have to remove the device from your account, and re-add your former device.  There is quite a bit that needs to be done, and that doesn't even take into account closing out the "credit account" which was setup to cover your monthly installments to pay for the new device, which is not done properly could have a huge negative impact on your future credit history.

It is a shame that the Radio Slack representatives don't seem to know the right people to contact to reverse the accounts they have setup.  I'm not sure if this is really a poor sign for AT&T or for Radio Slack for them not being able to handle their end of the arrangements properly.  Most likely it is somewhere in between with both ends making some mistakes in the process.  While it doesn't help you much, I can assure you that even had you gone into an AT&T corporate store (and not used and authorized reseller), it would take more than just a few minutes to fully reverse something like this.  Reversing an upgrade has generally taken several days in the past, and that was before NEXT agreements even came into play...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

You wrote: "While it doesn't help you much, I can assure you that even had you gone into an AT&T corporate store (and not used and authorized reseller), it would take more than just a few minutes to fully reverse something like this."  Well, this is NOT ok.  No, this is NOT the way to treat a valued customer. Yes, this is the way you treat a customer that AT&T regards as ***** that is just there to fork over the money or else.  Yes, that is the way you do it, if you promise that you can cancel a contract, but don't really mean it.  Seriously. It is EASY to create a buttom in the system, that says, "cancel the transaction this morning".  Add some signature, done.  THAT is how you treat customers well.  The way it is done is a disgrace, and your reaction shows that apparently AT&T is full of boneh... that do not even appreciate, what it means to cater to the needs of its customers. Sad, sad, sad.  I continue weeping, then, I guess.

[word filter avoidance]

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

AT&T is a business that has to be concerned about making a profit for its shareholders. That is their first concern, and it should be as a business. A part of their considerations is providing a service at a price that customers are willing to pay, and at the same time being able to support it at a level that still provides the ability to make that profit mentioned above. Every customer wants as much as they can get and to pay as little as possible. Every business has to measure everything they do in terms of how much profit will it make (or lose) if they do it, or if they don't do it. I'm sorry to hear that you have unreasonable expectations of your vendors, and I hope you have good luck finding ones who will give you everything you want at a price you can afford to pay.

Since canceling legal contracts and impacting individual customers is a very risky thing, I personally am glad that they decided to take the time to do the whole process properly and didn't just create a "undo it" button. Too many people assume that because it is easy to click a button, that it is just as easy to fully define every step needed to take to undo a transaction, and to handle every possible problem that happens during the "undo" process. I can tell you that if it's done right, it will take moths of effort to create that "undo it" button, and it will need to constantly be updated every time a new agreement type is added, or removed, or every time any laws impacting your personal information or credit or installment purchases change, unless of course you don't care if it's done right.

Oh yeah, just so that you know, most of the people who would respond to you here are other AT&T customers like yourself. There are very few AT&T staff members who post here, and those who do, clearly indicate that they are AT&T staff in their posts. This "bonehead" that you insulted about how AT&T does their business is just another customer trying to help you to understand thing a little better.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

It happened to me several times that I was on telephone customer-support with AT&T with a simple question, being bounced from one guy to the next, line being dropped and restarted, etc., it all taking a long time.  Same, apparently, happened at the store.  I am glad that you see this as just normal for a "business that has to be concerned about making a profit for its shareholders" and that I have "unreasonable expectations" to hope for a better treatment and that you are "glad that they decided to take the time to do the whole process properly" by doing all that.  I wonder whether you ever have experienced the same telephone customer-support circus with them, but if you did, and you still hold to your opinion, I admire your patience and unshakable faith in the company.  I, for one, continue to weep. 

Oh, and I never insulted you, if you are a customer.  I was referring to people inside AT&T, as you can tell.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry, but you signed up for the upgrade without first calculating the $ ramifications.    I don't believe you are really thinking about the logistics on their end much.  Greed/envy for new gizmos is understandbly difficult for some to handle though.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.