Upgraded to Galaxy S3 with Data Contract, What happens if I end the data, but keep voice plan?

Tutor

Upgraded to Galaxy S3 with Data Contract, What happens if I end the data, but keep voice plan?

Say I upgraded to Galaxy S3 with 2 yr ATT Data Contract, What happens if I end the data plan after 14-50 days, but keep voice/text plan.  Do I have to pay a hefty fee or have to return the smartphone(with 30 day restocking fee)?

NOTE: Site Search Conducted, No exact matches found for my question

Message 1 of 12 (3,685 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author hardboil
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Upgraded to Galaxy S3 with Data Contract, What happens if I end the data, but keep voice plan?

[ Edited ]

With the smartphone, a data plan is required. You do not have to return the phone if you swap phones on your account with a non-smartphone, but you are still tied to the 2 year contract for the upgrade.
You CANNOT use a smartphone without a data plan.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (3,649 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author hardboil
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Upgraded to Galaxy S3 with Data Contract, What happens if I end the data, but keep voice plan?

hardboil wrote:

Say I upgraded to Galaxy S3 with 2 yr ATT Data Contract, What happens if I end the data plan after 14-50 days, but keep voice/text plan.  Do I have to pay a hefty fee or have to return the smartphone(with 30 day restocking fee)?

NOTE: Site Search Conducted, No exact matches found for my question

as mentioned the data plan is required and you only have a 14 day window now to return the phone

Message 3 of 12 (3,630 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I figure it would turn out like this since the major 4 carriers are very protective of their smartphone cash cow plans.  Your post has been helpful in helping me decide to switch to a low cost unlock phone plan.

I'm off to the google store to try to fish for any leftover Nexus 4.  You have a nice day, Sir Federer "G.O.A.T." :]

Message 4 of 12 (3,600 Views)
Professor

You'll still need a data plan with the Nexus. Any smartphone, unlocked or not, requires it.
Message 5 of 12 (3,546 Views)
Tutor

Yeah, that's why I may switch to a low cost data plan or use a smartphone under the carrier radar.
Message 6 of 12 (3,508 Views)
Expert

hardboil wrote:
Yeah, that's why I may switch to a low cost data plan or use a smartphone under the carrier radar.

just remember - if they determine youare violating the terms of service without a data plan they will add it back which is perfectly within their rights to do so. they will not place a data block on a smartphone also

Message 7 of 12 (3,480 Views)
Teacher

Both the Galaxy SIII and the Nexus 4 are compatible (can be moved without a new phone purchase) with T Mobile's new no-contract price plans.

Message 8 of 12 (2,525 Views)
Expert

NC_Cell wrote:

Both the Galaxy SIII and the Nexus 4 are compatible (can be moved without a new phone purchase) with T Mobile's new no-contract price plans.

only if they are eligible for unlock, if they are not they are not compatible until they are

Message 9 of 12 (2,517 Views)
Teacher

http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

Obviously T Mobile would know more about what does and does not work on their systen than foks with nothing better to do in llife than post irrelevant or inaccurate info.

Message 10 of 12 (2,513 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

NC_Cell wrote:

only if they are eligible for unlock, if they are not they are not compatible until they are

The Nexus 4 only exists as an unlocked phone.

Message 11 of 12 (2,504 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

NC_Cell wrote:

The Nexus 4 only exists as an unlocked phone.

I guess that was the reason I could not find it on att's sales site, ust figured it wsa not out yet. Never did care for android devices so I don;t pay attention to them that much and we do no vertical market development for them

Message 12 of 12 (2,488 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.