Trade In and Get Rewarded!
hardboil's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 8th, 2013 7:39 AM

Upgraded to Galaxy S3 with Data Contract, What happens if I end the data, but keep voice plan?

Say I upgraded to Galaxy S3 with 2 yr ATT Data Contract, What happens if I end the data plan after 14-50 days, but keep voice/text plan.  Do I have to pay a hefty fee or have to return the smartphone(with 30 day restocking fee)?

NOTE: Site Search Conducted, No exact matches found for my question

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

With the smartphone, a data plan is required. You do not have to return the phone if you swap phones on your account with a non-smartphone, but you are still tied to the 2 year contract for the upgrade.
You CANNOT use a smartphone without a data plan.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@hardboil wrote:

Say I upgraded to Galaxy S3 with 2 yr ATT Data Contract, What happens if I end the data plan after 14-50 days, but keep voice/text plan.  Do I have to pay a hefty fee or have to return the smartphone(with 30 day restocking fee)?

NOTE: Site Search Conducted, No exact matches found for my question

as mentioned the data plan is required and you only have a 14 day window now to return the phone

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

I figure it would turn out like this since the major 4 carriers are very protective of their smartphone cash cow plans.  Your post has been helpful in helping me decide to switch to a low cost unlock phone plan.

I'm off to the google store to try to fish for any leftover Nexus 4.  You have a nice day, Sir Federer "G.O.A.T." :]

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

You'll still need a data plan with the Nexus. Any smartphone, unlocked or not, requires it.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, that's why I may switch to a low cost data plan or use a smartphone under the carrier radar.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@hardboil wrote:
Yeah, that's why I may switch to a low cost data plan or use a smartphone under the carrier radar.

just remember - if they determine youare violating the terms of service without a data plan they will add it back which is perfectly within their rights to do so. they will not place a data block on a smartphone also

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

Both the Galaxy SIII and the Nexus 4 are compatible (can be moved without a new phone purchase) with T Mobile's new no-contract price plans.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@NC_Cell wrote:

Both the Galaxy SIII and the Nexus 4 are compatible (can be moved without a new phone purchase) with T Mobile's new no-contract price plans.

only if they are eligible for unlock, if they are not they are not compatible until they are

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

Obviously T Mobile would know more about what does and does not work on their systen than foks with nothing better to do in llife than post irrelevant or inaccurate info.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@NC_Cell wrote:

only if they are eligible for unlock, if they are not they are not compatible until they are

The Nexus 4 only exists as an unlocked phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.