Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Upgrade to OnePlus 3 question

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade to OnePlus 3 question

Currently I have an LG G4 and am looking to upgrade to a OnePlus 3 next month. I've noticed that AT&T does not sell this phone, so, how do I upgrade? Do I turn in my old phone and keep the SIM card? Help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 35
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎06-17-2016 1:23 PM

Re: Upgrade to OnePlus 3 question

Your current phone is YOURS.  You keep it.   

The one plus phones are not sold by any carrier.  If you want a one plus with warranty the only place to by is the manufacturer.  

Buy online and swap the SIM card.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 35
Contributor

I just attempted to use my OnePlus 3 and ATT will not provide me LTE data.  They say they don't recognize/support the phone, even though it supports all the necessary bands.

Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

have at&t import the imei from your g4. chances are they dont have the oneplus 3 in their lte capable phones list

Message 4 of 35
ACE - Professor

You shouldn't need to import an IMEI, at least to get most functionality.

I have full (or at least as full as I can with an un-branded Windows phone) functionality, immediately, and I never did this.  I did try to get someone to import it, at one point, and they failed.

Did you go into the SIM settings, and select the AT&T network, and 4G/LTE?

What exactly happens, it just won't register the 4g/LTE in the connection indicator field?

Ping me if you don't want that G4, I'm in the market, as a secondary.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 35
ACE - Expert

The imei is reporting it's a 3g only phone so it will kick the code to no lte. With your 950xl Microsoft provided att the proper imei stats.
Message 6 of 35
ACE - Sage

@biglilsteve

You might get results with a sim provisioned correctly in an ATT store.

My nexus 6p didn't register LTE regularly until I got a new SIM card.  However, speed was just as fast before and after.

@pgrey.  

G4?   Why would you want that piece of junk?   The G3 was a great phone, but LG hasn't done right by it since.  If you want an android to play with pick up a Nexus.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 35
ACE - Professor

@lizdance40Good catch, newly provisioned cards are always a good shot, that sort of slipped my mind.

On the LTE speeds thing, that's probably because (at least my current experience) LTE for AT&T isn't much faster (except latency) than 4G.  That's my neck of the woods anyway, I can pretty much get the same results with either, just lower latency.  And since there's no VoLTE, except with a certain set of branded phones, well, 4G is pretty darn good, as it stands ;-]

Yeah, the G4 is the Android with WiFi C, currently, and a second-hand one would be great, as a secondary.  It has to be a branded model too, or I'd look otherwise.

Believe me, I'd MUCH rather get a Nexus, but who knows how long it'll be until they add more Android support, and the fall/winter season is approaching fast (where I have good WiFi a lot of weekends, and no cel connectivity).

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 8 of 35
ACE - Professor

LTE is clearly a great marketing tool though, people practically go nuts trying to get it, figure out why they're not, etc. 

You should see the discussion in the Win Phone forums, when there was an LTE problem with the initial W10m releases.

TMobile LTE is another story, it was 2-3 times faster than my 4G with them (metro area here anyway), for the brief month I had them...

Message 9 of 35
Contributor

For those having the no lte problem, I did too. After a week of trips to the att store it was finally solved. You need to set your apn to the old cingular apn, restart the phone, wait for lte to kick in, then change the mmsc and mmsc proxy back to the att apn settings. If you don't, you won't be able to send or receive mms messages. These are the apn settings for the mmsc and mmsc proxy for cingular and att. http://mmsc.cingular.com Wireless.cingular.com http://mmsc.mobile.att.net proxy.mobile.att.net
Message 10 of 35
Contributor

Hello, I tried the Cingular trick with my new OnePlus 3 and it wouldn't connect to anything. Do you have more info that could help? I also called tech support again and they said they phone was not on the LTE list. Any help would be appreciated. Brian
Message 11 of 35
ACE - Sage

@BTrexler

You have to program the APN settings manually and go to ATT and have a SIM card provisioned for your phone.  

Non ATT phones are not on the IMEI list.  ATT doesn't white list phones.  You have to put in a ticket for your IMEI. 

Message 12 of 35
Contributor

I spent 2 hours on this issue -- Here is the skinny

The SIM, Hardware, and my plan all are LTE comptiable.  However, IMEI is hardcoded in AT&T's system as a GSM phone, so at best you may get H or UMTS, 3G, etc, but never the 4G LTE.  I asked to be put on that "whitelist" to add my device as and 4G LTE device, but it doesn't quite work that way, since it's hardcoded.  Bottom line, you have touch tone phone, touch tone plan, touch tone card, but unless you buy the phone from AT&T, you cannot get the touch tone service, it's rotary and use at your own risk.  Very disappointed.

Message 13 of 35
Employee

If your IMEI gets submitted to the IMEI ranges it does not happen instantly. We're talking a couple of weeks turnaround time.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I just received my phone and tossed a SIM card in it, the phone is
getting 4g lte and it works perfectly. Kind of odd, this problem, but it
does not seem to affect my phone. Thanks for the reply though!
Message 15 of 35
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support