Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Arendi's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 4:53 PM

Updating non-smartphone in family plan

Hello everyone,

we have the FamilyTalk Nation 850 with Rollover plan and I want to upgrade one phone in there.

Currently it's a Nokia 6350, just to show that there is not a fancy user behind it and it hasn't been done recently.

My problem is, that after I select the new phone we want (Nokia lumia 900), it takes me to select a voice plan, and none are the family plan. (see below)

I've tried with going with the one for $0.00, but then the data plans look like this:

Not the ones I was expecting ($20, $30 etc.). I did notice that at the top in the URL it says business (underlined). That first showed up with the overview of the phones and has been up there since.

So my questions are: How can I upgrade the phone so it stays in the family plan and we just add the $20 data plan?

Have tried firefox 14 and IE 8, cache and cookies deleted.

I'm starting to think that the AT&T website hates us.. having another problem with adding a line described here, that no one has been able to help with.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Alright, sorry for wasting your time wingrider. What I wrote came true.. my wife looked over it and found that tiny button "continue with existing plan" that for some reason I have been ignoring these past few days. That was all...

Again, thank you for your support!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Okay, I played around with it some more.

If I select one of the "Individual Voice Plans", it gives me the expected options for the data plans. Doing that adds it as a seperate line though, because during the check out it lists the monthly charges as Voice plan (e.g. $40) + data plan (e.g. $20).

On a side note: Can you edit posts somehow? I couldn't find that option, otherwise wouldn't have double posted.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Arendi wrote:

Okay, I played around with it some more.

If I select one of the "Individual Voice Plans", it gives me the expected options for the data plans. Doing that adds it as a seperate line though, because during the check out it lists the monthly charges as Voice plan (e.g. $40) + data plan (e.g. $20).

On a side note: Can you edit posts somehow? I couldn't find that option, otherwise wouldn't have double posted.

there is a time limit for editing, I think it is 15 minutes but not sure.

when you go into upgrade the line in question are you hitting the Upgrade Phone  button when you are logged onto the account manager, the one right below your name and accoubt number?

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for the pointer on the editing!

As far as getting to the upgrade, I have tried numerous ways:

The first being the one you mentioned.

The second one I selected "Check upgrade options" from the dropdown menu right below the "Upgrade Phone" button you mentioned.

Third I selected the phone number in the "Group Share Usage" overview, scrolled down and selected "Upgrade" under the phone.

All resulted in the same outcome.

I only have Windows XP so I can't try IE 9, but it shouldn't have anything to do with it just being IE 8, right?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Arendi wrote:

Thank you for the pointer on the editing!

As far as getting to the upgrade, I have tried numerous ways:

The first being the one you mentioned.

The second one I selected "Check upgrade options" from the dropdown menu right below the "Upgrade Phone" button you mentioned.

Third I selected the phone number in the "Group Share Usage" overview, scrolled down and selected "Upgrade" under the phone.

All resulted in the same outcome.

I only have Windows XP so I can't try IE 9, but it shouldn't have anything to do with it just being IE 8, right?

When the phone that you want to upgrade is shown - what is the exact wording of the text? It alsmost sounds as if that phone is not eligibile for a full discounted upgrade

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for looking at this for me. I hope it's okay that I show with pictures, might be more accurate.

So when I click on the phone number at the overview, this is at the bottom by the phone I want to upgrade:

Then I go to upgrade, and it gives me the list of phones in the family plan (not pictured). I then click "upgrade eligibility" for the one I want to upgrade, which takes me to this screen:

On there is the first time that the "business" appears in the URL. Then I continue to click "shop AT&T premier", which is the only option to continue (I'm not sure why I only get premier). That takes me to all the phone and I singled out the Nokia Lumia 900, which it shows at the discounted price for $49.99. I also noticed that the top is now blue and not orange anymore, which comes from the premier I assume.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

the area that I am talking about is when you select the phone number you want to want to upgrade from your account screen it will do a status check on your upgrade eligibility, and return a message, this is the message I am speaking of. There are 3 (going from memory here)

1. you are not eilgible for an upgrade

2. you are eligiible for an upgrade but at a early upgrade cost

3. you are eligible for a upgrade at the full discounted price

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

I'm not able to find that status check for eligibility. From my understanding, this is where I end up when I follow your steps:

On another note, in my previous post in the last screen, it says:

"AT&T Upgrade Status:

Yes - You are eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price."

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Arendi wrote:

I'm not able to find that status check for eligibility. From my understanding, this is where I end up when I follow your steps:

On another note, in my previous post in the last screen, it says:

"AT&T Upgrade Status:

Yes - You are eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price."

So if you select from the left side of the screen, under the phone description "Upgrade Phone" it takes you to a new line add?

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

12 years ago

When I click on that "Upgrade Phone" it takes me to the list of all the phones in the family plan. Then I select "Upgrade Eligibility" and I end up in the same screen as in picture 2 of the 6th post in this thread.

So yeah, ultimately going that way has the same outcome as the other ways.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.