Trade In and Get Rewarded!
berger1's profile

Scholar

• 

83 Messages

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 10:36 PM

Transferring an upgrade to another line (Family Plan)

Hi guys long time no see,

I have a family plan with two smartphones, and two basic flip phones.  I have read that if one line is eligible for an upgrade, I can transfer that upgrade to another line.  my question is, if the upgrade in question is a smartphone, can the transfer of upgrade eligibility only be from smartphone to smartphone ? or can I take the upgrade from one of the flip phone lines and use it on one with a smartphone ?

sorry if confusing.  wife wants a lumia 900, but isn't eligible yet.  the two flip phone lines are eligible however.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@berger1 wrote:

anyone ? no one has ever transferred an upgrade  ?

you can use your upgrade for your wife - best bet is to go to a retail outlet and handle it

Scholar

• 

83 Messages

12 years ago

anyone ? no one has ever transferred an upgrade  ?

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

12 years ago

You don't actually transfer the upgrade.  You use the upgrade on the line that is eligible, adding the required data plan.  When the phone comes in call in and activate it on your wife's line, adding the data plan to her line.  Then you can remove the data plan from the line that upgraded. 

If you go into an AT&T store they can handle everything for you right there.

If you buy in store and she decides she doesn't like it (within the 30 day buyer's remorse period) you will have to pay a restocking fee to return the phone. 

Be aware, if you get the new phone through some source other than AT&T they may have restrictions on using the new phone on a different line or making any changes to your account for a specified period of time. 

Scholar

• 

83 Messages

12 years ago

great replies and advice. thanks. my wife has an iPhone 4 currently with unlimited data, so she wont need to add any data. unfortunately when I went to the store today, they were unable to sell my a lumia because of the data connectivity issue.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@berger1 wrote:
great replies and advice. thanks. my wife has an iPhone 4 currently with unlimited data, so she wont need to add any data. unfortunately when I went to the store today, they were unable to sell my a lumia because of the data connectivity issue.

just to check - the unlimited data plan on your wife's phone is for a smartphone correct (30.00 for data only)? If it is for a qmd device then the unlimited plan is not the correct one and she will have to choose a tiered plan.

Scholar

• 

83 Messages

12 years ago

yes it's for a smartphone
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.