Trade In and Get Rewarded!
vince971's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 6:37 PM

Sharing upgrade

Hi just wondering. If I am eligible for an upgrade and my daughter is not, can I upgrade my phone and just switch the Sims cards so it works with her number? I would like to get her a new phone for Christmas but her upgrade doesn't happen until after the new year. By the way both phone are droids and the new phone would also have the droid ops.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you buy the phone in the store, they can set everything up for you.  Some phones have security requirements that require that the phone be activated on the account that it was ordered on, so they could do this activation for you in the store.  Then you can switch SIM cards as desired.

You mention that all phones are Android devices.  However, if the new phone is an LTE phone and the old one is not, you will need a new LTE SIM card for your daughter's line.  They can advise you of what to do in the store.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply, while she is on my account her current phone isn't LTE. Oh well, I was hoping to order from the site to avoid going into the store, thanks again.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I always advise that you go to a store to do upgrades that involve switching the accounts that you are using the phones on.  Since this will be a Christmas present, your phone support options may be limited on Christmas day.  Couple this with some security restrictions on devices that are shipped to the customers, I think that the store will be your best bet.  You could order online and take it to the store for activation and switching, but this would still require a trip to the store for you. 

I hope that everything works out well for your Christmas gift!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.