For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
ann3dr0id's profile

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 16th, 2013 4:13 AM

Retaining 2GB data plan with upgrade (possibly on Amazon)

Hello, I have a question concerning retaining my $25/mo DataPro 2GB plan for smartphone when I upgrade my current phone; will I be able to get the DataPro 2GB for smartphone on LTE for the same price that I'm paying now ($25/mo) when I upgrade?

(if yes) Will I also still be able to retain it if upgrading through Amazon.com? (an upgrade to the HTC One costs $119 here as opposed to AT&T's $199 upgrade price)

Any info/insight is greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@ann3dr0id wrote:

Hello, I have a question concerning retaining my $25/mo DataPro 2GB plan for smartphone when I upgrade my current phone; will I be able to get the DataPro 2GB for smartphone on LTE for the same price that I'm paying now ($25/mo) when I upgrade?

(if yes) Will I also still be able to retain it if upgrading through Amazon.com? (an upgrade to the HTC One costs $119 here as opposed to AT&T's $199 upgrade price)

chances of a error is higher when using a authorized retailer, also make sure you price the phone out as a upgrade user and not just look at it on the web site, amazon has a policy in some cases of charging more for a device for upgrading then new user

You can definitely keep your grandfathered 2GB plan if you upgrade through AT&T. As Wingrider points out, upgrading through an authorized retailer might not get the same result. From other posts I've seen on this forum, I suspect that some authorized retailers are not able to offer the grandfathered plans on upgrades, but I don't know if that is true.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@ann3dr0id wrote:

chances of a error is higher when using a authorized retailer, also make sure you price the phone out as a upgrade user and not just look at it on the web site, amazon has a policy in some cases of charging more for a device for upgrading then new user

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

11 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

@ann3dr0id wrote:

You can definitely keep your grandfathered 2GB plan if you upgrade through AT&T. As Wingrider points out, upgrading through an authorized retailer might not get the same result. From other posts I've seen on this forum, I suspect that some authorized retailers are not able to offer the grandfathered plans on upgrades, but I don't know if that is true.

I upgraded to a Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket on March 6th 2012 and i am on the Grandfathered unlimited data plan and i did it as Bestbuy perfectly fine. Though to be honest 5 dollars more for the 1 more GB is worth it.

And as far as prices go for the HTC one on amazon it is for new and for people who can upgrade

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll go to the AT&T store because it'll probably less complicated, although slightly more expensive unless there's a sale. And I would need to get a microSIM with it anyway, plus no waiting.

Oh yes I was looking at the Amazon pricing for the renewed 2-year contract, the new customer/line price is $99.

I did see the $30 3GB plan, but I've never come close to using my 2GB as I'm usually somewhere with wifi most of the time.

Thanks again!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@ann3dr0id wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'll go to the AT&T store because it'll probably less complicated, although slightly more expensive unless there's a sale. And I would need to get a microSIM with it anyway, plus no waiting.

Oh yes I was looking at the Amazon pricing for the renewed 2-year contract, the new customer/line price is $99.

I did see the $30 3GB plan, but I've never come close to using my 2GB as I'm usually somewhere with wifi most of the time.

Thanks again!

look at the Best Buy store, have neer had a problem in all the upgrades that we have done on the family plans, prices might be better also.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.