Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Non-Smartphone Data plan won't upgrade to Unlimited Smartphone data

Highlighted
Contributor

Non-Smartphone Data plan won't upgrade to Unlimited Smartphone data

Ok so... several years ago when the iphone first came out I had a line added to my mom's plan and got one.  I, of course, signed on for the unlimited data and she decided that she would go ahead and upgrade her phone so that she could do the unlimited data also.  The kicker here was that she did not get a smart phone (I laughed, but she said she wasn't ready to make that jump yet).  Fast forward a few years... Her phone craps out and she finally decides to upgrade to a smart phone.  This was right about the time that AT&T decided to start bullying people out of the unlimited plans.  She got a new phone and AT&T defaulted her to a data plan (NOT unlimited).  When we noticed it, we called in and were told that there was nothing that could be done and that her unlimited was dropped off bc it was not the "smartphone" version of the plan (and that was after being hung up on and the call being dropped about 7 times).  We were livid, but she has only gone over a handfull of times (which in reality has cost a crap ton over time), so we dealt with it.  I have a 4S with unlimited data and my phone is on the fritz.  It has been for months but I keep holding on because I don't want all of that to happen again.  I actually do use a lot of data for work and I refuse to upgrade and lose it.  There was a "grandfathered for life" thing that was supposed to happen, but we were already screwed once... How do I avoid this happening again?  I have found customer service to be less than helpful on the matter and with AT&T being so crafty about jacking people over I feel like I am about one mouse click away from being screwed.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Sage

Re: COMPLETELY screwed by AT&T...

I will expect confirmation from those with a longer tenure with AT&T, but the grandfathered unlimited plan was valid for those who signed up and got the iPhone. If she didn't get an iPhone, she didn't have a grandfathered plan. On the other hand you did. In order to keep it only upgrade at AT&T store.
(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Unlimited data from a regular phone is not upgradable to smartphone unlimited data. They are 2 totally separate things and since unlimited data is no longer available, she is not eligible for the unlimited data plan for smartphones.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 4
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTMobilityCare
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Hi there @bfette156

I can confirm that upgrading your iPhone 4s will not mean you will have to lose your unlimited data plan. You can upgrade via any option (online, in-store, via support) and be able to retain your grandfathered plan. When upgrading via myAT&T, you will see an option to keep your current plan when going through the ordering process.

Thanks,

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support