For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Friday, August 25th, 2017 10:54 PM

No department was able to find a solution to my issue. 2+hours of phone calls.

From 9:28AM-10:48AM I was sent through a labyrinth of phone calls, one being disconnected. I called 611 on my device and was greeted per usual by friendly customer representatives that were pleased to assist. I am an avid user of AT&T and have been using the company since 1999 under my parents guidance. I emancipated myself and began my own service in 2015.

The issue was that I had an upgrade-eligible line with an iPhone 6 Plus that I had gone upgraded online (w/trade-in) on August 12th for a iPhone 7. We received the new phone and sent back the iPhone 6 Plus a few days later using the prepaid shipping label provided. Following a text message the the phone had not been received, I called customer service. The representative was surprised and somehow confused that I sent the phone back being that I only had a remaining $21 payment left and could have kept both phone if paid off. I then tried to intercept the packing using USPS services but required the number on the prepaid label. I called customer service that understood the dilemma and confirmed that the warehouse did not receive the package so the trade was not processed. They transered me to different department including sales and other reps totalling 8 reps whom all were unable to find the information PRINTED BY AN EMPLOYEE and PAID FOR BY THE COMPANY. I was not provided any kind of receipt for that label. Only for the package received from FedEx. Most all of the 8 representatives I had spoken to let me know that the payoff would be available ad long as they have not processed the return that would be deemed as AT&T property once received.

Once again, I say that THEY DID NOT RECEIVE THE PACKAGE. THE LABEL WAS ISSUED BY AT&T AND WAS NOT ACCOMPANIED BY A LABEL RECEIPT.

I tried to then do the payoff in the meantime in hopes that the phone would be rejected or returned if it made it to the warehouse. ALL REPRESENTATIVES could not assist withh this. They were unable to post the payment to my account. Now, my significant other is upset that we are at a loss of over $600 for the financed device because of a $21 payment. I feel cheated and mislead. What felt like a great opportunity has now become a great financial loss. I even went to lengths to try to remedy the USPS shipping on my own (intercept) and the lack of information at this large company (AT&T), whether because of organization or policy, prevented this. I am a very disappointed long-time user of this company and feel this is an issue that should be brought to your attention. I feel cheated, disappointed, and dissatisfied with the way this was handled.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Anonymous I'm guessing from you're not mentioning it, that you didn't get a receipt when you dropped off the phone at USPS? A copy of that would help.

How much did the system tell you that it was going to credit you for the iPhone 6?

(edit) Now I think they offered you nothing when you did this on-line, as you hadn't paid the phone off, I'd think it was just treating it as a Next upgrade (which just waives the remaining payments). 

I see you realized you did it wrong and messed around and tried to pay it off and intercept it. But that's really not how it's supposed to be done. While that package was sent via USPS it generally goes to a third party delivery system and package intercept likely wouldn't have worked as it leaves the USPS system quickly. Technically, they should have refunded the $21, but as they never got the phone they wouldn't be concerned about that (since you paid the phone off they weren't necessarily expecting it either, you might have decided to keep it). 

PROBLEMS:

• Their shipping system stinks and needs an overhaul. It's pretty moronic that they can't tell you the tracking number when you call.
  • On the other hand your shipping skills could use some refining too! Why would you ever mail an iPhone and not get a receipt?!? What if it doesn't make it to the destination?!?

AT&T screwed up on the shipping part (as they often do) but had everything else worked right, all it would have resulted in was you saving $21 more. I understand you tried to fix it after, but that does not sound like what you submitted.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L Summed it up perfectly.  You were perfectly happy to send back a phone you had paid for until someone told you you only owed $21 to keep it.   Only then did it occur to you it was worth more?   (And it's not $600, new it's worth $350, used half that).  

Phones go to Newgistics for recycling and are not returnable.  

You should always get a counter receipt.  

Lesson learned.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.