For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
cardinals1109's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, December 19th, 2014 6:21 AM

Closed

Need phone without internet browser please help!

My family has a shared data plan 10gb a month and I'd like to stay on their plan but im having a hard time finding a phone I can use that doesnt have a web broswser. I currently have an iphone and would also like help with switching from it to the new phone (as far as step by step how to deactiviate iphone and get and activate the new sim card) . I dont care if I have to buy a used phone or a 5 year old phone (provide links to where I can get one please). I have my reasons for wanting a phone without internet that id rather not share so please dont ask or try and talk me out of it. I will repeat I dont want to be able to access the internet in any way, even if my family has a data plan. Please dont tell me I can set restrictions on my iphone, I've tried but there is ways around it trust me. If there is a way att can turn off data to my phone line only that would be a possibility to but id still have wifi which is a problem... thanks for any help

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @cardinals1109 

There are few basic phones that don't have wi-fi, and mobile data can be blocked on the account level by customer care. That's probably your best option.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/cellphones.html?commitmentTerm=24&taxoStyle=BASIC-PHONES

Thanks,

Dmitriy

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

9 years ago

I don't think you understand. "Internet", can be accessed with either wifi or mobile data.
You do not have to use mobile data services if you don't want to. But if you want to use the phone for wifi services, you still have to have a smart phone, like the iPhone you have now.

Mobile data can also be turned off for a phone line on line or by calling customer service.

You can cheaply buy a non-smart phone for use with your plan if you want to go that route.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I too need one that doesn't havery a Web browser or mobile data capabilities period if you know of one please let me know asap

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

Shop on Amazon for a basic flip phone.  The z222 has no frills and is only $10-20.  

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

That is actually tuff to do because even the flip phones (i have one) are internet capable.

You know, your best bet might be to go with one of those pay as you go "candy" phones. (They look like a chocholate bar, only have sms messaging, and the "browser" is so limited it is not even worth the bother of trying to use.

ATT still has go phones but truth is, the only real dirreance between them and a regular phone is the payment plan. Heck, even uses the same phone, differance is in the simm card programming.

This is an option: IF you can qualify for a lifeline phone, from say trackphone (they call it safelink) it is a very basic phone, and it has no internet capabilities. (They are trying to get it added, but so far, it does not have or support any type of internet.)

With phones and wi-fi, really, all wi-fi does is allow you to use a broadband connection to make phone calls, send messages, etc. thru their internet connection, rather than off of a cell phone tower.

OH, the safelink phones from Trackphone do not have any wi-fi capacity. Heck, they don't even do blue tooth.

About all I got off the top of my head.

You know, truth is, if anyone wants to access the internet, theese days, all they gootta do is go to the local library and click away. no real point, just saying....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

The Consumer Celular has the Doro, it does not have Internet Browser or WI-FI, and it is loaded with features but is just a basic phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My Mom has had her number for 40 years and she would like to port her number over to a cell phone.  I have spoken to someone at Vonage and was told that if she went with them, she would need to have internet service at home.  There her bill will go back up. She's wanting to cut her bill way down.  Right now she has AT&T home phone and it's $50 per month.  She has a Trac Fone that she uses when she leaves the house with a number but wants to find something to port her number of 40 yeas. 

Thank you,

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

@BettyBrooker

in most cases a home number can be ported to a cellular carrier.  

If your mother has good service with Trac phone, she can port her number to Tracphone and cancel the number she uses now.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Target has flip phones with no internet capability. They are a different carrier though.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

There is no way to use a cell phone without the internet. It uses cell towers and they are all connected to the internet. Some are just ditching their phone. What they need to do is identify every phone IP address and track down spammers, put them in jail. Get rid of apps that do large calls with stollen phone numbers. This is commonly called spoofing. If they don’t do something many will ditch their phones or break them because it’s so aggravating getting spam calls. Some spam calls have been illegally called spam as a business owner I have to answer all calls and have answered spam that is just another business trying to make it in this phone mess we are having. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.