Trade In and Get Rewarded!
StateParkHiker's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Friday, September 20th, 2013 3:22 AM

Is it possible for AT&T to reverse my upgrade date?

Dear AT&T and fellow customers,

I know AT&T changed the upgrade to 24 month instead of 20 monthes, I am stuck with a somewhat antiquated device running HSPA. I kinda need to switch to LTE because of certain reasons. However I was wishing to upgrade in April of 2014 (the original 20 month date), however now I am stuck with a date of September 2014 (the new 24 month date). I know I would accept the policy if I had known it before signing my contract but now I have no choice but to have a barely usable device in the Summer for the second consecutive year and have to rely on neighbor's LTE phones again.

I know I have the option of trading my device in to mitigate the costs but I want to keep using my iPhone 4S as an iPod, I hope there is a chance of reversing the date.

Best Regards,

StateParkHiker

New York, NY. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@StateParkHiker wrote:
I usually get a display that says I qualify for an early upgrade, or I don't, but for now, I don't even have the sentence telling me whether or not I qualify. Half the AT&T reps say I qualify, half says I don't. Is qualification based on date from my contract signing?

At the end, it seems like it's best to just grab a White iPhone 5S from EBay and get the fully subsidized pricing next year, but I wish they could waive and reverse the date back to April. I can't go a whole summer without a phone.

you would probably get it cheaper from an apple store when they have it in stock, have seen 2K prices for a 5S already.

Upgrade qualifications have changed recently, used to be on a 18 to 20 month cycle, now that are flat 24 months, If your 2 year contract was scheduled to end before March 1 2014 then you kept the old upgrade policy, if March 1 2014 or later you got pushed to 24 months.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@StateParkHiker wrote:

Dear AT&T and fellow customers,

I know AT&T changed the upgrade to 24 month instead of 20 monthes, I am stuck with a somewhat antiquated device running HSPA. I kinda need to switch to LTE because of certain reasons. However I was wishing to upgrade in April of 2014 (the original 20 month date), however now I am stuck with a date of September 2014 (the new 24 month date). I know I would accept the policy if I had known it before signing my contract but now I have no choice but to have a barely usable device in the Summer for the second consecutive year and have to rely on neighbor's LTE phones again.

I know I have the option of trading my device in to mitigate the costs but I want to keep using my iPhone 4S as an iPod, I hope there is a chance of reversing the date.

Best Regards,

StateParkHiker

New York, NY. 

your only choice though the carrier would be if you qualify for a early upgrade - this is the base subsidized cost of the phone + a penalty of 250.00. Other then that look for a reputalble seller for a used phone or buy a inexpensive att gophone

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I usually get a display that says I qualify for an early upgrade, or I don't, but for now, I don't even have the sentence telling me whether or not I qualify. Half the AT&T reps say I qualify, half says I don't. Is qualification based on date from my contract signing?

At the end, it seems like it's best to just grab a White iPhone 5S from EBay and get the fully subsidized pricing next year, but I wish they could waive and reverse the date back to April. I can't go a whole summer without a phone.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

LOL, typo, iPhone 5 (not S), so much for multi-tasking.

But otherwise, I guess I'll attempt to call and convince AT&T, but it seems like the best idea and cheapest is to grab an Android LTE device from EBay, and wait until next September when I qualify for the fully subsidized upgrade. It really sucks that the date is March 1 2014, not October 1 2014 but oh well.

I'll mark the Accept as Solution anyways since it's the best we can do, thanks Wingrider01!

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

Wait a minute - it sounds like you are saying you bought an iPhone 4S in September 2012.

The iPhone 5 was released in September 2012, so if this is true, then the model was already outdated when you bought it. It seems to me that that is the problem, and not a four-month eligibility change that doesn't modify existing contracts.

I'm not trying to insult the 4S - I just upgraded from one myself, and it's a fine low-end phone (that was once a high-end phone), but it sounds like you want the latest and greatest, but you simply didn't buy the latest and greatest.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

What AT&T want is more money from you?

If you disagree, your only choice is to leave AT&T after finishing the contract, and move to a more friendly carrier.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@chen9810 wrote:

What AT&T want is more money from you?

If you disagree, your only choice is to leave AT&T after finishing the contract, and move to a more friendly carrier.

corporations have policies, it has absolutly nothing to do with "friendly: you will find that the policy is pretty much universal. Businesses for the most part are in it to make a profit for their share holders. In this case don;t wait for the contract to end - pay the etf and leave if you are not happy.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

It is nothing wrong to make profit, but ATT changes the policy after people sign the contract. I believe this is a kind of false advertisement. ATT told people they can upgrade in 20 month when they sign up the contract, and after people sign the contract, ATT changes the policy and push them to wait for 24 months. Do you think this is fair for customers?

You are partly right. People are leaving if they are not happy. That's why ATT has a negative phone subscription growth in the last two quaters.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm in the same boat, I used to be allowed to upgrade every ~18 months at the new contract price. They changed the rules in the middle of my contract. After a couple phone calls and an AT&T store visit, I am no closer to getting an upgrade at my originally scheduled time.

Not-so-coincidentally, for the first time since I've owned a cell phone (2002), I am looking at other carriers. The AT&T Next program is a rip-off, it's essentially a bring your own phone program (you buy it in monthly installments) in addition to your regular phone bill.

I should add that I already get a 20% discount on my AT&T plan and there are likely better deals out there now. By the time my contract ends in March, 2014, there's a reasonable chance that I'll be switching to another wireless carrier.

A year ago I would have laughed if someone suggested I switch from AT&T.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Does it actually say anywhere in the contracts that people agreed to that they would be eligible for an upgrade in 18 or 20 months?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.